Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Default Training treats?

I need some good training treats. I just ordered Fromm lamb and cranberry treats and also old mother hubbard meaties liver treats but they are only 8 oz. I really need something good that the huskies will really respond to. I don't feed treats to the big dogs so I don't know what's good or bad.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Hotdogs.

Can't get any better, yummier, more appealing, or cheaper than that. Just cut them up into little kibble sized pieces.

ETA: Crappy American cheese slices can also work in a pinch. But it tends to get all slime-y and gross after 5 minutes or so.

Oh, and the cheapy Chicken gizzards you can get in packages at the grocery store for like...$2 a pound?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM
BusterLove

I make my own out of boiled liver or heart. Sounds gross and smells bad but you get used to it and it creates spongey, soft treats that don't make a big mess of your training bag.
I'm easy with dogs that will work for just about anything though so not sure how the boiling process changes/lessens the taste?

The last batch we microwaved instead in the hope of loosing less flavour to the water and they worked well.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
orange iguanas.

Baked liver works great.

As far as commercial treats go, I like Zukes and the Natural Balance food rolls, and whichever company makes the plastic tubs of the freeze dried liver.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

Commercial treats, I love Cloud Star and Bil-Jac liver. Usually for more high value sessions. I've also been using Lickety Sticks...I love them. I usually use whatever's in the house though...more basic training, cereal usually.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

I get Pet Botanics from Petsmart. Probably not the healthiest, but they're stinky and my dogs love them.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb
Old 06-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Top Dog

I usually keep Zuke's in my training bag. I also will microwave hot dog bits (dries them out so they aren't quite so gross), use thawed meatballs, or buy cheap deli ends and cut them up. If you mix them all up in a baggie, the commercial treats soak up some of the goodness and makes them even better!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Kaydee

Definitely hot dogs or TBonz-junk food but Sophie would climb a tree for one.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

I like to use natural balance rolls cut up into treats. They have a soft texture and are smelly and flavorful enough so Tucker likes them but not so messy that I can't keep some in my pocket. They are great, can be any size you want, easily broken into smaller treats. Only down side is they will dry out if out of a bag too long.

So for my bowl of treats in the living room I use freeze dried treats (meat, liver), dehydrated/freeze dried raw (stella and chewy's, nutrisca), sample kibbles (so not what he normally gets), zukes treats (though those dry out too and their value falls to that of kibble), and jerky treats I make and break into pieces (you just thinly slice meat and bake on a lower heat for three hours or so). The jerky is great for working on not barking out the window because it takes him a while to chew it, not so good for training sessions though.

When I go to the park I usually just bring leftover meat from the dinner before and if I don't have that I'll use "junk food"...cold cuts or hot dogs (which get pretty gross in a baggy in my pocket for a couple of hours lol). Right now I just use his meals for training commands because he gets so many treats throughout the day, but before I would also use leftover meat, cold cuts, or hot dogs.

String cheese is used for nail clipping, he loves that stuff.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

Chopped up hot dogs.

Also dehydrated/freeze dried raw treats.