Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default Compulsive eating

Having a really hard time dealing with this both in understanding, and in surviving this on a low budget. I know I need to wrap my mind around the fact that it is not just a behavior, and trying not to be angry that every time I reach for something, it is already gone and having to lock up food in my own home. ANy coping tips and if you have some vibes for patience, I could use that too. Summer has only begun and I have no idea how we are going to get through to school.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with this. My nephew had a big problem with this. He would sneak out to the kitchen in the wee hours of the night and "steal" food and hord stuff in his room and it was a big problem. they eventually had to keep everything locked up and sometimes that didn't even work.

I wish I had some words of advice Praying for patience for you

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Felurian

I wish I had some kind of wonderful, fix-it-all idea . . .

Maybe it would help to keep lots of popcorn -- the old fashioned stuff that you cook on the stove?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

I'm of the personal belief that it's stress/anxiety related. However, I don't have any ideas on how to "fix" it.

I get to the point where my anxiety and stress cause me to just want to eat and eat (I've been this way even when I was 100 lbs and playing soccer and working out a million hours a day....just back then it didn't hurt anything other than my mind). My biggest trick/defense is sunflower seeds (the kind in the shells). I'll buy a huge pack of David's sunflower seeds from Walmart, and then get to town. The constant hand-to-mouth action, and the action of cracking the shell apart to eat the seed, keeps me occupied. It's actually a very calming thing for me, especially since it's repetitive.

Maybe that's worth a try?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I'm of the personal belief that it's stress/anxiety related. However, I don't have any ideas on how to "fix" it.

I get to the point where my anxiety and stress cause me to just want to eat and eat (I've been this way even when I was 100 lbs and playing soccer and working out a million hours a day....just back then it didn't hurt anything other than my mind). My biggest trick/defense is sunflower seeds (the kind in the shells). I'll buy a huge pack of David's sunflower seeds from Walmart, and then get to town. The constant hand-to-mouth action, and the action of cracking the shell apart to eat the seed, keeps me occupied. It's actually a very calming thing for me, especially since it's repetitive.

Maybe that's worth a try?

This. I will eat myself sick out of stress/anxiety if I don't find something to stop it.

I either eat sunflower seeds (though I try to save those for emergencies, because I'll eat them until my mouth is raw) or chew gum. Gum has been my BIGGEST life saver with obsessive compulsive eating.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I'm assuming this isn't you by that post..... Could it be hormonal? I am ravenous when I'm hormonal, and nothing satisfys me.... Just a thought. Hormones can kick in very young.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Twin 2.0

I think you're going to have to manage her like Virgo and just be hyper vigilant about locking everything up.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Dizzy might be right. I was massively hungry at that age.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Does she have hobbies? I find when I'm very busy I don't feel the desire to eat, when I'm not busy I eat a lot more. But I remember last summer when I spent a few weeks painting my grandparent's deck I never felt hungry even if it was a few hours past lunch, whereas if I'm just sitting around I start to feel like eating an hour or two before lunch. When I volunteered at the dog shelter I never felt a desire to eat, I never felt hungry. So perhaps something to keep her focus, or several things, would be good, especially if she can do something active, some sort of outdoor project perhaps.

Other than that, maybe gum chewing? You can't eat when you have gum in your mouth and it keeps the mouth occupied, just choose a type that won't rot teeth. Though that could be a problem school starts up again since I assume gum isn't allowed.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

Wish I had tips Smkie, I've been dealing with the same problem with my daughter for 16 years. And I have not been able to find a solution. And it does get frustrating going to grab something to make dinner only to realize its not there anymore.