Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Default Joint supplements?

Anyone have much experience with them?
Schaffer just got back from the vet. He has chronic anal gland issues, but we all knew that... XD (The vet said to just feed a bit of canned pumpkin.)
The fluff but has had some problems with his hind legs, though, and it seems to be catching up to him now that he's ten. The vet recommended glucosamine or chondroitin.
Anyone use either? What are some good brands that carry effective but not bank-breakingly expensive joint supplements?
Any help is great.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Puppy Dog

My lab girl Java had back to back ACL repairs and also has ED, OCD & DJD.
Right now I have her on Hylasport Canine (www.pupsup.com).
It has Glucosamine/Chondroitin/HA/MSM & Vit. C in it...it comes in a beef flavored powder.

We have had great luck with it...works wonderfully for a super active, orthopedically challenged lab.

For a dog Java's size (60 lbs) we pay $60 for a 6 month supply, free shipping.
If your pup is smaller, the dose would be less so a 4 lb container would last much longer.

Java is also on additional MSM for inflammation ($18 for 9 month supply at a feed store), Grizzly Salmon Oil for the Omega 3 & 6, additional Vit. C (1000 mg a day of human grade), Vit. E every other day (200 iu, human grade).

I do highly recommend the Hylasport though..it has the right dosage of Gluc/Chond for beneficial effects.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
and Fozzie B!

I give Gonzo Pet Kelp Joint & Bone, because I love the benefits of kelp as well as a full dose of gluc/chond. It's only $10 for the bag and that lasts him about 2 months.

When I fed home-cooked, I gave him Missing Link with Joint Support, as it contains lots of nutrients and helps promote healthy digestion (which might be good for his anal glands, along with a possible diet change?). I feed raw now, which I supplement with kelp anyway, so I switched to the pet kelp. I like for Gonzo to get essential nutrients out of the supplements I give him, as gluc/chond isn't the only way to treat joints.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

I'm using now for Jinjo, Gluc and MSM powder, I almost feel like I'm wasting my money, but I keep giving it to him and recently increased his MSM from 1 1000MG cap a day to two. He also gets Adequan about once a month which is a high concentrated inject-able Cond. I also after reading something have been giving him Turmeric. Most recently, my mother read up about how gelatin is helping some dogs big time, so I've started him on that (plain, unflavored). We'll see, but at this point I'm now believing his problem may be more than just arthritis, he is a Corgi. I've also in the past with former big dog Maddy tried something called "seajerky" which had a form of G/C from sea-cucumber, didn't seem to help one bit, but she loved them as a treat.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 AM
love the fluff

Well, I feed raw so I use chicken feet daily. We have an older hound mix who was on the stiff side all over and they have helped her a lot. She doesn't limp and walk stiff anymore everytime she gets up.