Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Big Dog

Default How much do you tell puppy buyers?

Curiosity question. How much do you tell puppy buyers about their puppy's development? As in, do you show off all the weight/growth charts? Share any minor set-backs? Disclose if you needed to put a puppy on antibiotics as a precaution? Stuff like that. Also, do you do it as the puppies develop (before they are chosen, but as a concession to their interest in a particular puppy)? Or only when they get the puppy they choose/receive?

And part two, if you disclose stuff, how do you manage buyer reactions?

I don't want to go into specifics, but I've had a lot of advice to NOT tell about things, particularly in advance. And now I'm regretting having done what I felt was right and telling a buyer about a minor concern I had about her preferred puppy. Either way I'd still be caring for and treating the puppy to the best of my abilities. Just the stress involved... Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

As a buyer I would want to know EVERYTHING! And for the price they are probably paying for an IW puppy, they deserve to know EVERYTHING, lol.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I wish i could get one of your pups so bad , you are so what i want in a breeder , someone who is honest and open and caring.

The reaction you get is not something you can control , all you can do is be open and answer any question you can and refer the buyer to resources if the need is there.

I havent been reading ya blog , but am going to right now ( i stopped cause i was pining seriously for a wolfie pup , doesnt help my son is BEGGING literally on hands and knees for one) "OW mama PLEASE PLEASE it is Sirius!"
Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Within reason, all pertinent details. I found out later Sloans breeder fibbed about apptitude and litter placement as far as drive and exposure. I am thrilled with Sloan, beyond, but I don't see myself trusting him again for another dog. I want honest answers.

I was turned away by a guy when I asked about his breeding and I truly respect him for that. He wasn't in the business of selling dogs as much as being in the business of finding the ideal homes to further his lines with. At that point I lacked the clear experience to handle dogs of their caliber, as far as they could tell at least, and honestly better safe than sorry is a good motto in this scenario.

Same goes for dog to owner, some dogs don't suit some owners and vice versa, if your potential buyer is frightened off by a bout of antibiotics are you sure they're the right home for your puppies?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Resident fainting goat

I think 100% honesty from puppy breeders/puppy owners is the ideal. I want my breeder to tell me EVERYTHING and anything and would be very disappointed and honestly, would consider losing my deposit if I found out they weren't 100% honest about something (like if pups were sick at some point, even minor issues, true aptitude test scores, etc..) because honestly, even if it doesn't really matter in the long run..for me, it's an issue of "if they lied about this or if they left this out..what else is under the rug?"

As for buyer reactions, questions, curiosity, shock etc.. I think is all fine. Especially pet owners who might not know what certain problems/sicknesses are or what they entail.

but honestly, there is no down side to being 100% honest about health issues and all other kind of stuff.. because honestly, would you WANT someone having one of your pups who reacted badly to that bit of news anyway or wasn't prepared for it?

Honestly, I think the only kind of breeder that would be concerned with buyer reactions to updates/info about the litter is the kind whose first priority is selling puppies.. not finding them the right homes with informed and responsible buyers.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Honesty is the best policy

Honestly, especially in this case where, yes, there were issues, puppies were born a week early, etc, I think the owner should know everything, if puppies were on antibiotics, etc. that seems like quite important information to know, to let their vet know further on, IMO.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

[QUOTE=JessLough;1991707]Honesty is the best policy [QUOTE]

This.

Don't let people push you around and tell you what you should/should not keep hushed up. Do what you feel is comfortable. You don't have to itemizie everything that's been done with the puppies, or what's wrong, but puppy buyers I think would like to know what they're getting themselves into upfront, then later finding out once the "secret" is out.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
*Now with Snark*

[QUOTE=MericoX;1991716][QUOTE=JessLough;1991707]Honesty is the best policy
Quote:

This.

Don't let people push you around and tell you what you should/should not keep hushed up. Do what you feel is comfortable. You don't have to itemizie everything that's been done with the puppies, or what's wrong, but puppy buyers I think would like to know what they're getting themselves into upfront, then later finding out once the "secret" is out.
This and this ...

I disclose everything I feel is important to know. So I don't just write wormed and the date. I write wormed, the name of the wormer, and the amount used. If there is an observation of note I'll mention it and mention if I think it's something to watch or no big deal.

In the end if I have a puppy I feel isn't ready to take the next step on to the potential owner - it stays until it's there.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn's breeder never disclosed if anyone was on medications or antibiotics if they were, but that's not of a huge concern to me. She did disclose that one puppy was stillborn.

She sent all puppy buyers weekly updates. It generally started with a general description of how they were maturing and growing as a group, including with what kind of new stimuli she'd introduced or what kind of adventures they'd been up to, and what kind of reactions she was watching for from the pups and how she would interpret them. She then broke it down into how the individual pups were maturing and how their personalities were evolving. This was so cool to get each week because while she places the puppies into suitable homes it was interesting to see which puppies sounded appealing and it was great to hear how their personalities were developing. I had three favorites off the bat (one was Quinn) so it was cool tracking those puppies until we could all come and meet them at 6 weeks.

I felt (and still feel) very confident with my breeder. When it came down to two puppies and I was torn we talked a lot about their personalities and how she thought they'd mature. She even did additional puppy tests for me as I was so unsure. It seemed to me like finding the right home was priority #1 and she was more than willing to listen to my indecisiveness and disclose anything that I'd like to know.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Active Pup

Default How much do you tell puppy buyers?

PLEASE HELP! What did I say wrong??

My Emails:

“Some very nice pictures and I always enjoy the video’s. How is Green doing?”

“Thanx for the update. It has been a long day waiting and that is an understatement. I am sending the following link so you can read about heartworm and Alberta.”

“I really hope the antibiotics kick in soon before they run out. Is he trying to eat solids and does he join the howl a thon? I am looking forward to video’s of that or even pictures.
I went to the IW forum and I did enjoy your post back to scottkerr. I hope you are feeling better and I hope Green is better real soon”

“Thanks for the update. I glad that you took him to the vet and I do feel lots better now knowing what it is. The pictures of the puppies at the food dishes are so cute. They all look like they have excellent manners but
I am looking forward to seeing them really dig in. Have a great night”

What did I say wrong?????
We need an icon for confused
JuliaMae