Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Default Credit cards

I'm looking at getting a credit card. I've always shared one with the husband, but due to the utter ridiculousness of banks and mortgage people, we are on the search for a credit card in my name. any suggestions?

Thanks

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM
just call me Nilly

I don't know anything about stuff in the US, but just make sure you're getting a good interest rate.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
*Now with Snark*

Odds are if it's your first the rate is going to SUCK and the limit will be very low. Just make sure there are no annual fees and if you use it you pay it off - every single month - on time.

Try to find something with a benefit you'll actually use. Airmiles are wonderful but you have to travel when they're good and they often expire. Sometimes something like a Cabela's Visa with points towards purchases or Costco Amex with a yearly cash back are better options.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

We have always paid the credit cards off in full and on time, that policy won't change on the new one.

Our last card was through the credit union that we are part of, but they have majorly screwed us over on the home buying front and that card will be cancelled on Friday, so we're looking for something to replace it with.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

I've always had Capitol one. They helped bring the bfs credit back up to par after he messed it up with a cc when he was young.

Your first card with no history if your not a student will likely suck. They have a card where you put your money down and on paper it looks like a real card and eventually you'll get one. To look on their page and they'll tell you current card offers. The bf had one through his bank but it never helped his credit and he never renewed so they kept his money and said it was in the contract. So avoid the bank cards.

My mom opens a card for every gimmick. She pays them off but the bills coming in alone would overwhelm me. A credit card and small personal loan is great for the credit.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Top Dog

I do have a few student loans and a car loan and we have had a credit card before. It's just the game we have to play to make this work since they won't count my income because it's 'not permanent.' so our shared debt has to be cancelled (credit card) so he can apply by himself.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I do have a few student loans and a car loan and we have had a credit card before. It's just the game we have to play to make this work since they won't count my income because it's 'not permanent.' so our shared debt has to be cancelled (credit card) so he can apply by himself.
That's pretty normal and totally sucks. Matt and I had the same problem (only his income didn't count) but luckily we didn't have any loans/cc together. It's a PITA.

I would definitely go for something with rewards but without any of the crap fees. But I dunno if you want to listen to me - I've only had one credit card for the last 8 years so I may not know what I'm talking about.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
That's pretty normal and totally sucks. Matt and I had the same problem (only his income didn't count) but luckily we didn't have any loans/cc together. It's a PITA.
The best part is that we've been working with this bank since February and they just now decided to mention this. Seriously, we are trying to close in a month. They didn't want to explore any options with us, so we are changing horse mid stream, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I would definitely go for something with rewards but without any of the crap fees. But I dunno if you want to listen to me - I've only had one credit card for the last 8 years so I may not know what I'm talking about.
We had a capital one card until we moved to NY and then stopped using that one and got one through the credit union, so yeah..... I'm definitely looking at a rewards one and I think I'm leaning towards the american express blue cash everyday card.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Love my pets

You could ask the credit card company to take your husband off the account and have it in your name only. That way you wouldn't have to apply for another card.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

I have an Amazon Visa, which is through Chase. It's great if you shop on Amazon much, you get 3 points per dollar for Amazon purchases. You get 2 points per dollar for gas, restaurants, office supply stores, I think some drug stores, and 1 point per dollar for everything else. You can then shop with points on Amazon, or you can get any of their other rewards like gift cards, or even cash back.

If I didn't get this one, I probably would have got Chase Freedom (I think that's what it's called) or Discover. Both of which you get rewarded for all purchases, I think rotating what you get higher percentages on each quarter.

It's the only reason I got a credit card, to get the rewards. I figure if I'm making all these purchases with my debit, I may as well use a credit card and get rewards. I make sure to pay it off every month so it is worth the rewards because I do not pay interest.