Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Puppy Dog

Default What type of dog fits my lifestyle?

I've been looking at dog breeds for quite awhile trying to see which one fits me/my lifestyle the best, and i guess i need some help choosing.
I've figured out what i want in a dog, but after looking at some dog breeds, i don't think any breeds fit what i want. I'm not that experienced with dogs and training them, so I think dogs like Rottweilers might be kinda difficult for me. But yet, I want a dog who is wary with strangers. I'm not that fond of those friendly to everybody breeds like Golden Retrievers.

I want a dog that is vigilant and bark and size alone will restrain intruders. So my problem is, i like the big vigilant intimidating dogs, but yet i'm a novice and experienced dog owners and trainers say that a novice shouldn't own those type of dogs because they are assertive and strong willed. This got me stuck in the mud because i wouldn't be that comfortable owning and controlling a strong willed dominant breed. So now i don't know which breed would fit me because i want a big, vigilant, intimidating dog........(i don't know about an attack guard dog) but i'm not experienced, and a dog like a Rottweiler would probably be too challenging for me. So i'm confused with that part.

Shedding doesn't matter to me, I'm willing to groom but not too much. I like velcro dogs and I'd prefer a more easily trainable dog.

I've looked at quite a few dog breeds but i can't find any that fit me. Could you guys help me out?? Do you know of any breeds that fit this?

I've most often considered either a Bernese Mountain dog, or a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, but a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog might be a little challenging too. What do you think?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Twin 2

I'm posting just to bump this back up, I know when your threads get caught in moderation they tend to fall behind and not get seen.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

From what you are describing..I'd almost think chow. They are pretty easy to housebreak, not horribly destructive, etc. They are somewhat independent and are happy doing their own thing. Their people usually love them. But...your average chow is not going to be social. They do not typically appreciate strangers..dog parks, boarding kennels, social events...you may have to put one away when friends and family come to visit. A lot of groomers won't groom them. They shouldn't be over the top aggressive but definitely wary of strangers.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

To be perfectly honest a big, guard-type breed isn't the only type that will give you what you are looking for. A medium sized dog can also meet what you are looking for. For example I have a standard poodle. Very friendly, extremely easy to train but will bark when someone comes onto our property and will continue until I say it's OK & greet the person. Also, a black dog is more intimidating looking. I can remember one time when I woke up to hear my dogs barking at the sliding door - I knew by the bark that there was a stranger at the door. When I looked it was a deputy sheriff. He came to see if I had seen or heard anything the night before because a street over had a couple of break-ins. He said they were warning everyone to make sure to keep their doors locked but that he was sure that wasn't necessary for me with my barkers! He was surprised how friendly they were once I had greeted him & told them it was OK.

While I agree with the prior post about Chows I wouldn't recommend the breed for a novice. I personally think they need a someone with experience with their type of personality.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlesmom View Post
To be perfectly honest a big, guard-type breed isn't the only type that will give you what you are looking for. A medium sized dog can also meet what you are looking for.
That. I have a GSD/BC mix, she's about 40lbs, and the sweetest thing EVAR. Yet, people cross the road when they see us coming She also is a good guard in the sense she barks if somebody is coming, and will rush the door when they come in. I'd say anything over 30lbs, darker coloured with prick ears would do the job

Also, people are less likely to break in if you have a dog(s) rather than if you don't. Dogs make enough noise that it's easier to just go to the next house without one, no matter what the dog looks like.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Dafuq?

Perhaps a more mellow mastiff type, such as a bullmastiff? I don't have any experience with them, personally, so i don't know how dominant/assertive they are. Akitas are very cool, stranger-aloof dogs, too, but they can be tricky to train because they don't exactly jump to please you.

Be aware that a guarding breed without structure/training can be a liability. Whatever you get, make sure to socialize, and you should probably take a few training classes with them so that someone with more experience can teach you to teach your dog. Woth the socialization, even if you don't want an outgoing dog, it is important they have that exposure so that they know they don't have to guard you against friendly strangers. Guardians need confidence, and that comes from experience in the world. JMO.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

I have a 25 lb black ball of fluff, and I see people cross to the other side of the street when I'm walking her. You don't need an overly large dog to deter people.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Why not go to the local shelter and look at some medium to largeish black dogs, I've found no matter what the breed or mix if the dog is black people will make sure to stay out of that dogs way.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Why not go to the local shelter and look at some medium to largeish black dogs, I've found no matter what the breed or mix if the dog is black people will make sure to stay out of that dogs way.
This is a great suggestion, and if you go with an adult you have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Also, if you're up for putting in some exercise time, an Aussie/Aussie mix could be a good dog for you to look at. They really are excellent watchdogs and most are willing to protect their homes/people if it comes right down to it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
love herds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
This is a great suggestion, and if you go with an adult you have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Also, if you're up for putting in some exercise time, an Aussie/Aussie mix could be a good dog for you to look at. They really are excellent watchdogs and most are willing to protect their homes/people if it comes right down to it.
Agreed, Desoto would not hesitate to protect any member of our family. As a herder aussies are very vigilant, I have had him wake up from a dead sleep to growl out the window at a rabbit at 2am. They are a going to be higher energy than many of the other breeds suggested but they are not off of the charts energetic. Aussie mix's also show up in on petfinder with some regularity.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)