Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Puppy Dog

Default How long can she hold it?

Now im 100% sure this has been asked many times but Im on my mobile phone and cant search for the answer. How long can a puppy hold it? Ive bought Taina a kennel and what I hope to be the last pack of puppy pads so I can start teaching her to go outdoors. She's 'supposed' to be 5 and a half months (byb breeder were not sure of her real age) but im guessing shes around 4 and a half months. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

My general rule of thumb is how ever many months old they are, plus one. So if she's 4 months, she can hold her bladder for 5 hours. This is for while they are crated though, not running around.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

That is my general rule too...but keeping in mind all dogs are a bit different. Ivy could not hold it over 5 or 6 hours until she was over 1. Qcumber held it longer than that at under 4 months:/
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

I think they can hold it longer while asleep than while awake. Tucker could hold it overnight (8-9 hours) by 3 months no problem. During the day? No way. Plus when you first start teaching them to go somewhere new you need to take them out much more frequently than they NEED to. But I have heard the rule others have suggested before.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Im thinking right now may not be the time to start her outside training. Im gone from 7:30 to 3:30 and when I get home she has peed and poo'd once, sometimes 2 pees. I think once school is over (my oldest is out in 2 weeks) and I slow down on work I can get this done quick. Im already starting to take her our regularly but she still hasnt gone outside. Maybe tomorrow when her bladder is full.

Loving mom to 3 energetic boys and to Taina, the lively Weiner
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Show Dog

My dogs usually hold it for 6 hours at night. During the day however, they pee every now and then.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Big Dog

When Zoe was a 2-3 month old pup, she could hold it for two hours if she was sleeping soundly and that was it. Potty training was rough!