Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,497
Default Fromm Gold line

So I LOVE Fromm, as a company, and I think their formulas are pretty good, etc.

The last time I fed some of their foods though (two bags of duck & sweet potato, and one bag of pork & applesauce), Jackson got itchy. I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but once I switched him off the food, it stopped. But who knows, it could've been environmental.

But I'd love to give Fromm another try. I REALLY want the food to work for him, because I so love the company and the people at Fromm (lol, dumb reason? maybe)

But anyways, was considering giving their Gold line a try... specifically their large breed adult or puppy, IF the kibbles are larger. Jackson oddly does prefer larger kibbles, which the Four Star line doesn't have. But wanting to try Game Bird too, since we haven't yet, and I'm sure those kibbles will be smaller too but we'll just deal.

Obviously, he's not a large breed. But I don't see why it'd be a problem to feed it to him: http://frommfamily.com/products/gold...eed-adult-gold

So any body have dogs do well on their Gold line? Or the new Game Bird grainfree formula?

He's still on Acana, as he has been for a while. The Singles line has definitely what he's done the best on, but I admit, it's getting pricey. The Fromm Adult is $10.99 for a 5lb bag and I'm paying closer to $20 for 5lbs of Acana lamb & apple.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12,962
Default

We are in the midst of changing Rosey to the Game Bird Grain Free. The kibbles are TINY. Like, smaller than ferret kibble.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
We are in the midst of changing Rosey to the Game Bird Grain Free. The kibbles are TINY. Like, smaller than ferret kibble.
That's the only thing I hate about their foods! I remember their Surf and Turf was like SUPER teeny too. Hmph.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,658
Default

Juno is on gamebird right now. It is super super tiny kibble. Smaller than cat kibble. Surf & Turf was the same way and I have a bag of the beef frittata waiting in the wings that I'm sure will be uber small as well!

I'm actually taking her off Fromm once we finish off the bags that we have, because she's not doing that great on it. Most people would think I'm crazy and wouldn't think there's an "issue" but I don't like how her coat (or her poop) has looked since she's been put on it. I really, really wanted her to do well on it; but who knows, maybe it's just the flavors she's been on, maybe the red meats will work better.

Someone I work with feeds the LB Adult and she likes it, it definitely wouldn't hurt to try.
__________________
"And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot"

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Juno is on gamebird right now. It is super super tiny kibble. Smaller than cat kibble. Surf & Turf was the same way and I have a bag of the beef frittata waiting in the wings that I'm sure will be uber small as well!

I'm actually taking her off Fromm once we finish off the bags that we have, because she's not doing that great on it. Most people would think I'm crazy and wouldn't think there's an "issue" but I don't like how her coat (or her poop) has looked since she's been put on it. I really, really wanted her to do well on it; but who knows, maybe it's just the flavors she's been on, maybe the red meats will work better.

Someone I work with feeds the LB Adult and she likes it, it definitely wouldn't hurt to try.
Lol, I know. I don't know why, I just really love Fromm, and want so badly for him to do well on it. But wasn't terribly impressed the last time we tried it. Well I kind of recall him doing okay on the duck, and he wasn't on it long enough for me to tell a difference in his coat (two 5lb bags) but the pork & applesauce gave him soft poo for sure. But then I always read so many rave reviews of others doing well on it (Yorkies in particular seem to).

I guess it just wouldn't hurt to try, and if he gets itchy again (he also got a lot of eye boogers on surf & turf, if I remember) then I guess we'll know for sure it's a no go.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,658
Default

Haha yeah I feel like my dog is screwed up for having issues on it, since it seems like everyone else loves it!
Maybe we're just too picky about what "doing well" means.

And I can't for the life of me understand why they decided to make all their kibble sizes so itty bitty. Juno doesn't care, but it's still weird to me lol.
__________________
"And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot"

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Haha yeah I feel like my dog is screwed up for having issues on it, since it seems like everyone else loves it!
Maybe we're just too picky about what "doing well" means.

And I can't for the life of me understand why they decided to make all their kibble sizes so itty bitty. Juno doesn't care, but it's still weird to me lol.
Yeah, I'm probably WAY too picky and nobody else would notice anything different about him, but I do. I pay way too much attention, haha.

I seem to remember hearing something about "better digestion" or something with the small kibbles? but don't quote me on that.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM
96 GTS 96 GTS is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,658
Default

Their large breed dog/puppy kibble is not large. I only know this because a bag ripped at the store the other day and I was REALLY surprised at how small the kibble was.

ETA: This is Lauren.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GTS View Post
Their large breed dog/puppy kibble is not large. I only know this because a bag ripped at the store the other day and I was REALLY surprised at how small the kibble was.

ETA: This is Lauren.
That's so weird...

Ah well. I guess I could try a bag.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12,962
Default

Whitefish and potato seems to be on the bigger side for kibble sizes (out of 5 or so I had samples of). Salmon and tunalini is bigger than say, the salmon and the Game Bird, but still not all that big (it is bigger than ferret foods, though)

ETA: I know that has nothing to do with your original post The samples were right here, and I was bored...
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site