Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Default Potty training woes

I've held out for about a week making this post. I didn't want to swallow my pride and admit I'm having problems with the most basic training there is. But, here I am.
Problem 1: Fable will pee outside, but for some reason she won't poop. She will if for some reason she's really desperate, but TBH that's been about five times in the last two weeks.
Problem 2: Having her outside waiting to see if she'll go is starting to give her an aversion to being out there. Even if she's fresh out of her crate and has to go, she prefers to sit on the stairs and cry to go back inside (or curl up on the top step to sleep).

I never, ever "scold" her if she goes inside. I either intercept if I can or just clean it up. I take her out every hour plus after every nap and meal. When she has an accident I clean very, very carefully and I don't use any products with ammonia.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. She's so smart and trainable. I practiced "sit" with her twice, and after just those two times she starting sitting on command reliably.
Please help!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Problem 2: Having her outside waiting to see if she'll go is starting to give her an aversion to being out there. Even if she's fresh out of her crate and has to go, she prefers to sit on the stairs and cry to go back inside (or curl up on the top step to sleep).
Are you outside with her? If not, then try going outside with her. If you are out there, try to keep her out in the yard, away from the stairs, so she doesn't have that option.

Sometimes it takes some exercise to stimulate pooping. You could try reinforcing her peeing with a high-energy game of fetch, tug, chase, whatever she likes. Don't play for too long, just a minute or two to really get her heart rate up, and then take a break from the game to see if she'll go poop.

Quote:
I never, ever "scold" her if she goes inside. I either intercept if I can or just clean it up.
I know trainers who've had luck with, when the dog poops in the house, putting the feces outside where you want her to poop, which may stimulate her to want to actually poop there.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Whoa! Totally wrong section! Mods, please move this. No pics here.

Lizzybeth, thanks.
Yes, I always go outside with her. I put her mess outside in the beginning but I stopped for some reason. I'll do that again if it might help.
I'll try to do the exercise and playing as well. She's more food driven than anything, so I also thought I should start giving her treats when she goes instead of just praise. I need to get myself a bait bag so I'm ready to dole out treats.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
She's more food driven than anything, so I also thought I should start giving her treats when she goes instead of just praise.
I think that'll be a big help. My dogs don't learn anything with just praise; she might just need more convincing that going outside is better than inside. When Juno was a pup I just kept a bag of treats by the back door so that I could easily grab it every time we went outside.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

I'd definitely try putting the poop out there to let her know that's where it needs to be. Even to this day, and Zander is 7 years old, he WILL poop on command, but he's very cautious about where it needs to be. Having a pile already there seems to "inspire" them. Lol.

5-10 minutes of hard play inside, and then go outside to potty is a great idea too. I'd be wary of turning outside time into play time, but I use the 90 second rule. Take them out, set them down, say the "word"(I use "go potty") and they have 90 seconds to go. Business time, no play. If they go, THEN it's play time, praise and treat like crazy. Forever. It's a party. If they don't, don't say a word, just pick them up and go back inside, try 3-5 minutes later.

If she's really that smart, she might end up like my last two pup girls. She'll squat on command for that hotdog! Lol. Sometimes it just takes time, and it has nothing to do with your training. Girls are notoriously harder to potty train than males, in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

DEFINITELY give treats when she goes potty outside!! It will definitely give her a reason to want to go outside instead of inside. Good luck!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

She is so obsessed with food, she's driven to complete insanity and distraction. I should start to carry treats all the time so she gets used to me having them, otherwise she would never be able to go as she's be so focused on treats. As it is I only have them in Millie's vest and the cupboard.
I never used anything other than praise to potty train any other dog, and they were fine. This one's different though, I guess. I hope if she gets a worthwhile reward she'd feel differently about going outside.

If any mod sees this thread, seriously, please move it away from the picture section!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Love my pets

I'm a mod but don't have the authority to move this. I wonder if the other mods really are looking for a pic! LOL
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM
swimming upstream

moved.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Let it be

I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to tell you it took me TWO YEARS to housebreak Bandit. TWO YEARS! He was a very difficult dog. I don't think it would take as long being more educated now but I know without a doubt he would've been a more difficult dog to housebreak regardless. So you aren't the only one.