Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Big Dog

Question Opinions wanted - kinda publicity related

So, I know some of you have been reading the blog I have on my Wolfhound's puppies, and it's been rather full of not-so-pleasant stuff since things went wrong... Anyway, I had a fellow breeder friend warn me off from writing any more "bad news" on there. Stick to the happy puppy pics, and avoid airing my dirty laundry basically. She is concerned that I will put off puppy buyers.

I don't want to write bad news. I want everything to go well - I want the puppies to be healthy and Renee to never get sick again. But I am telling people (in particular potential puppy buyers) the truth. I keep trying to have happy stuff to say. It's just not happening that way

So... what do you guys think. Would something like this put off puppy buyers? Is this the kind of thing a breeder should keep to him/herself, other than a few close friends?

I'm feeling uncertain about what to do. I won't take anything down that's there, but I can try to censor it more as I add posts. I pray there won't be more negative stuff to post anyway.

I just don't know how others see this kind of thing. If you were interested in one of my puppies (before it all went wrong), would this blog turn you off? Would the situation make you want to look elsewhere? Be brutally honest please.

If you've not seen the blog it is at http://wolfhoundpuppies.blogspot.ca/
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm All Ears

No, honesty and breeders willing to talk about the problems they've had is something I look for. It makes me think very highly of said breeders.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
No, honesty and breeders willing to talk about the problems they've had is something I look for. It makes me think very highly of said breeders.

This, exactly. I'd rather know EVERYTHING that's going on, and that the breeder has the honesty to say when things go bad would make me MORE willing to get a puppy. Bad things happen and sometimes there's nothing you can do to prevent it. I think you've handled the situation EXTREMELY well considering all that has happened.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM
such sights to show you

Perfection is suspicious. I agree with others that I would find the honesty appealing rather than off-putting if I were looking for a breeder.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

I think all the detail would make me feel even closer to the breeder and the puppies. Just like when we all watched a member on here's puppies grow up via puppy cam. What would make me suspicious is seeing a picture of mommy and her brood and then 6 weeks later see pictures of the pups and have some no longer exist without explanation.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Honestly, seeing all the work and heartache that is going into this litter would make me want to pick you as a breeder that much more. I know you just arn't doing it to make money, but devote your life to ensuring these puppies live a long, healthy life.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

NO! NO! it would not turn me off. If anything it would probably be a deciding factor. As others have stated honesty is a good thing(drama not so much). If I was a potential puppy buyer, I would like to know the good, the bad and the ugly that is going on in the litter. And any of your puppy buyers have got to know that bloat is a real potential (as it is with ANY deep chested breed).

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Taxiderpy

When I see a breeder put on their website or even mention to me that they had a problem with osteo, or bloat, or whatever, my trust in them skyrockets. No line of any dog is 100% free of disease, and accidents happen even to the hardiest ones. If a breeder is upfront about all that, then I trust them not to hide possible issues.

Also, there's something so appealing about a case like Renee's. We're sitting on the other side of the screen, thinking about them and rooting for them. I feel a lot more connected to your puppies because of it and I've never met them or their parents or you. lol
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
*Now with Snark*

I don't see anything wrong with it. Stuff happens when raising puppies and dogs. People who float things as all disney and wonderful are more concerned about selling puppies to yuppies than the realities of raising them for people with a foundation in reality.

Dogs get sick sometimes, and puppies die. That's life.

BTW How're you doing? Bloat is enough to keep someone busy. I can only imagine what a litter and bloat would do to someone.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I like the openness and honesty of your blog. Speaking for myself I like discussing both the cute puppy raising stories and the heartache with any breeder I am getting a puppy from.

Watson's breeder was very candid when we talked about everything.

There is a Cardigan breeder whose blog I follow and she does not sugarcoat the hard or sad posts either. I would so totally love one of her puppies

I think people need to be more aware that breeding is not all just cute, fluffy puppies...or that dog ownership is not all rainbows and butterflies on some days.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/