Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Default Beans!

How do you cook them?

I bought a bunch of dry 'small red beans' (I don't know if that's a real type of bean, or just a description of what they are) at the store this week, and they're in the crock pot with garlic, onion, tomato soup, tomato paste, a little salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. They're almost done, and taste pretty good for a first attempt.

I love beans, and want to keep them in the fridge for snacking--I plan to mix them with rice and then eat that instead of potato chips. These have decent iron levels, which I lack in my diet, and protein, which I also don't get enough of.

So... what else should I try?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Felurian

When you cook dried beans, wait until they are tender before putting any sort of tomato in. The tomato can make them tough

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

Haha, too late this time. Next time, I'll do that, thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Felurian

A few (6 - 10) whole allspice and a couple of bay leaves in most beans will enhance the flavor.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Don't for get to hold off on the salt until almost done or serving time. As it can also make them tough.

As far as eating ideas. You can add them to salads (greens and pasta), add them to rice, wrap in tortilla. You can also cook them up and mash them to simulate refried beans. Bean soup is always good.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

I'm totally taking notes, thank you.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

It's not that good for you, (processed meat) but I put in ham hocks or shanks or smoked turkey drumsticks and beans which have been soaked over night first. Then onion, garlic, carrots, parsley, other herbs, whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Lol. And beef broth. (which winds up making it soup) Those are good tips about preventing toughness. I didn't know that. I love pinto beans a lot, but they're all good.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

I like to make a big pot of lentils. I'll add chili powder, onions, basil, oregano and a couple bay leaves. I'll let them cook slowly until they are tender then hard a small can or two of diced tomatoes and let it simmer until it's thicker. Sometimes I'll add some broth and have it like a soup. But most of the time I like for it to have less liquid and be kind of like a meatless chili.

I call it my Need to live on $5 for food this week meal.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM
The Littlest Hound

I basically did what you did tonight for dinner - black beans, muschrooms, onion, garlic & oil in the crock pot and then right before we ate (like an hour before) threw in some chopped frozen spinach. It was fantastic... but I don't know what el boyfriendo stuck in to season it.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I just put them in the garbage

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13