Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Big Dog

Default Baloo not tolerating the Solid Gold well any more

Hi,
Baloo has been on Solid Gold Hund n Flocken his whole life (he just turned 5).
Lately, he just doesn't tolerate it like he used to. He has loose stools at least once a week. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, but the clean-up is a chore.

The vet says he's healthier than I am (he eats better than I do), so we're pretty sure it's something in the kibble he's not tolerating.

I'd like to try a different food, but I don't want to switch him without some idea of what I need to avoid.

Could it be one or more of the grains that's causing it? Solid Gold does contain rice, barley, oatmeal and millet.

Should I try him on something grain free and see how he does?

Thanks
John
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Felurian

The grain free is a very good idea.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't even think it's necessarily grain causing problems. I think grainfree is great, but sometimes I also think it can be over-rated. Though from my experience, I think Jackson may have some issues with barley and maybe millet. I'd be more concerned with Solid Gold being made at Diamond (and they have had a few issues lately, plus big ones in the past). They voluntarily recalled a lamb & rice formula of Diamond and are temporarily closing their plant in SC just to clean everything up, etc. Just something to be aware of. Maybe, if you still have the bag, see if your SG bag was made at the SC plant. There's plenty of grain inclusive foods that I'd probably choose to feed over certain grain-free formulas, depending on the manufacturer.

If you want something a little simple on the tummy... I'm feeding Acana Singles (lamb & apple at the moment) with great success. It's a single protein source food with only one grain (oats). California Natural also has some grain-frees now that are very simple. I really like Fromm too.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I wonder if it has anything to do with Solid Gold being made at the place that Diamond Naturals is. They've recently recalled their food due to salmonella.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...J5860.facebook
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for the responses.
This started some months ago, but who knows how long the food may have been tainted, if at all.

I think I'm going to try him on Acana grain free and see how how he does.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Solid Gold changed their formulas recently and started adding egg and more salt into their formulas. I would look for another food without egg, see of that clears things up.

I can recommend Pure Vita grain free varieties, canine caviar, wellness core ocean fish, and Acana Pacifica off the top of my head as egg free.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Big Dog

Called the feed store and gave her the lot no. She made a call, then called me back. No problem with this lot. I'm lucky to have such great people at this feed store. She was about to leave when I called, but she went the extra mile to make sure we were ok.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 AM
and Fozzie B!

My Border Collie does not tolerate lamb well. It's not my favorite meat source for dog food, as most people say it's healthier & causes less allergies just because it's a novel protein source... when it isn't generally that digestible. Chicken, turkey, duck, etc are usually much more easily digested.

My favorite kibble is Nature's Variety Instinct. It doesn't have insane protein amounts (like Orijen, which has made many dogs ill) and it's not packed with potato like most grain free foods. They use tapioca instead. The company is reputable and not subject to constant recalls like Diamond. Plus, they have many great formulas. My dogs do super well on the duck & turkey formula, and the rabbit formula.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
love the fluff

We feed raw now, but before that we were feeding Solid Gold as well. None of our dogs did well on it. They kept runny poops constantly, and pretty regular vomiting as well. I have heard of several people whose dogs haven't done well on it. Solid Gold really isn't what its made out to be. Just a so-so food IMO. You can do a lot better.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Big Dog

Thanks for the info, folks.