Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Ever work overnights?

I kind of want to apply for this job... it sounds pretty cool and it is full time which is so needed.... but it's overnights and weekends. Which is not very cool. I pretty much prefer to be nocturnal anyway, I just don't know if I'd really want to be on an opposite schedule from the rest of the world.

So, anyone got experience? Does it suck as much as it sounds like it would?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Yes and no. If you're naturally a night owl its awesome. If you're not it sucks.

Plus, the overnights I've worked I just have to be in the building. I can actually go to sleep if I want.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
such sights to show you

I worked some overnights during the summers in college. I worked the overnights during the week, then I had a daytime job on the weekends, and so the constant back and forth absolutely totally sucked. I needed the money so bad I did it, though.

I'm not sure it would have been that much better without the daytime job, too, since on the weekends all your friends with jobs with normal jobs want to do daytime things. I always had a hard time sleeping during the day, too.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'm a bartender, night IS my job lol

Honestly? I prefer it, but ive always preferred to work at night and have the day to do things. My mom has worked nights since we got older, so it's kinda always been in my house a way of life. Need be, I can plan it so I'm up early in the morning (month end inventory days I go in at 9am), but most of the time I wake up around 1 (used to be later, then along came the bf texting around 1 LOL) and have time to do stuff before work and before it gets dark.

Oh yah, and I an usually the only employee there, so I can do whatever I want. I hardly ever have to work when the bar manager is around, which is a bonus for me

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

My dad and cousin have alway worked nights. They both can go on very little sleep. My cousin gets home trailers up the horses and goes riding. Might then sleep or sleep right before work. Works great for her. I know my dad was always upset when he was made to do days.

Weekends suck though. I am finishing my bachelors in hopes of getting out of them someday. I work days and evenings ( till 11:30pm ) now and I just don't care for it so much anymore. I would prefer all days no weekends. Not a night owl anymore. I do sometimes stay till 3am on rare occasion. You will get used to it. Or not lol! My body never knows what to expect with the back and forth.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

I havent done it, but many who do this really develop sleep issues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_work_sleep_disorder)

I think to consider this you really need to be healthy & know that it prob won't be sustainable permanently. I'd prob consider it if the job REALLY sounded worth it.

I'm sure having a social life would be REALLY difficult as well...so keep that in mind.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

In college I worked 2-7am pretty regularly doing night security in the dorms. It gave me a chance to do homework and I pretty much slept from the time I got out of class until I had to go to work. No social life, my sleep schedule sucked and it was exhausting. I really need 8-9 hours of sleep to function though, so it wasn't for me.

Now I don't have to stay up but I am on call at nights and if the phone rings at 3am I have to be ready to go and be out for a couple hours. I've adapted well and have adjusted accordingly.

But if you want to try it and think the job sounds interesting I say go for it! What do you have to lose? You might love it, you might hate it but you could always change it up.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

I've never worked overnights, but I did work nights and weekends for a few years. I usually worked noon-9. Which wouldn't've been too bad, except that my two roommates - my best friends - worked completely opposite schedules (7am-4pm, and 4am-noon) so we pretty much never saw each other and were always yelling at somebody for making too much noise while somebody else was trying to sleep.

Anyway, I liked working noon-9, because I was a night owl and LOVED being able to sleep in in the morning. But what was really annoying was that when I got off work, all the stores were closed, nothing good was on TV, restaurants were serving the crappy food, and all my friends were getting ready to go to bed. I LOVED having two weekdays off - to be off while EVERYBODY is at work is really lovely - but I did hate working weekends. Especially Saturday nights.

Overall I'm happier now with a 9-5, Mon-Fri schedule, but there are definately perks to working off-schedules.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I've never worked overnights, but I did work nights and weekends for a few years. I usually worked noon-9. Which wouldn't've been too bad, except that my two roommates - my best friends - worked completely opposite schedules (7am-4pm, and 4am-noon) so we pretty much never saw each other and were always yelling at somebody for making too much noise while somebody else was trying to sleep.
ZOMG this sounds just like my life right now! My roommate works nights while me and my other roommate work days (well, our schedules are 12am-8am, 7am-12pm and 8 or 9am to 5pm or something, respectively). We mostly worked out the noise thing, although my roommate on the night shift has been having tremendous difficulties sleeping during the day because we live off a very busy street where there is constant traffic, and sometimes that guy in his ghetto neon with the spray-painted rims (everything on that car is painted black) likes to go outside and rev his super loud engine right below our apartment. And lately there as been a lot of sirens from the cops, fire trucks and ambulances going into the ghetto apartment complex down the street. People stab each other, shoot each other, and get hopped up on PCP down there all the time.

Me and my other roommate try really hard to be quiet. If we watch the TV (rare) we put on the subtitles. We speak quietly. We try to keep the dog from barking. But she still gets bothered. A lot of the problem though is that she doesn't keep herself on the same schedule. On her days off she stays up all day so she can do stuff with people because she gets lonely, and then she grabs a nap and stays up all night when its time to go to work. Its not good for her. I think she may seriously have that Shift Work Sleep Disorder that Dreeza posted.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Bite me.

I've worked nights for the last 10 years. 5-2am, or even up to 4am I am ok with. Midnight to ten am I am NOT ok with. And I am a night owl. I can never get more than 3 or hours sleep during the day and I just always feel tired and off.