Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default Who would you trust more: veterinarians or nutritionists?

In regards to feeding your pet, who do you find yourself putting your trust into generally?

My Polyvore
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Big Dog

Nutritionists. Most vets don't learn anything about nutrition in vet school, to my understanding, other than what the supporting company (Purina, IAMS, Eukanuba) tells them.

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Resident fainting goat

Nutritionist. for sure.

Even as a pre-vet major, what we are learning in our program is already very very influenced by sponsors/donors (aka: hills and Purina)

As it is we get pizza parties, free gifts, back packs etc..
and *gasp* what we are taught is of course pointed toward funders of the program

We do learn quite a bit on our own, and a few of my professors do feed raw and teach that.. but for the most part.. ya, pre-vet/vet students don't really get much when it comes to nutrition knowledge.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

The sponsored-teaching has always been a huge turn off for me in trusting my vet. Especially when I see Hills stickers all over their office.

My Polyvore
Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
The sponsored-teaching has always been a huge turn off for me in trusting my vet. Especially when I see Hills stickers all over their office.
I used to really blame vets.. but now, being part of the system (even as just a pre-vet student). I can certainly see how easily it happens.
The reps are really REALLY nice, we are all broke college students, the free stuff, the free food, all the "research" and studies.. it's all very convincing, .
hell, if it wasn't for chaz, I would probably be totally convinced! and certainly would've continued to be convinced after hearing it over and over from now til vet school
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I used to really blame vets.. but now, being part of the system (even as just a pre-vet student). I can certainly see how easily it happens.
The reps are really REALLY nice, we are all broke college students, the free stuff, the free food, all the "research" and studies.. it's all very convincing, .
hell, if it wasn't for chaz, I would probably be totally convinced! and certainly would've continued to be convinced after hearing it over and over from now til vet school
It's a tough thing to deal with, I'm sure. Even just reading studies, I am torn all the time. Studies funded by big name companies such as Nestle and Mars for foods such as Royal Canin and Whiskas and Purina. On one hand, I hate those foods, but on the other hand, I know those companies have the funding to do these studies and depending on what the study is, I can agree with it.

I have met vets that recommend great foods, too, but who will turn their nose up when someone says they feed raw, and advise against it. It always throws me for a loop, especially when the animal being discussed is cats. I feel cat nutrition often gets thrown to the back burner in general, though.

I have found a lot of veterinarians recently that seem to be paying a very special attention to nutrition. A few of them have said that in the veterinary community, nutrition doesn't get enough attention. I'm not sure how true that is in general, but the lack of information I can find on certain aspects of nutrition with vet backing can be weird at times.

It's no wonder the pet food debate is so strong!

My Polyvore
Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post

I have met vets that recommend great foods, too, but who will turn their nose up when someone says they feed raw, and advise against it. It always throws me for a loop, especially when the animal being discussed is cats. I feel cat nutrition often gets thrown to the back burner in general, though
That annoys me to no end. Feeding cats a GOOD diet is arguably more important than dogs, since cats are obligate carnivores.
Same with ferrets, the amount of times I've seen ferrets come into rescue looking like hell cause the are feed Whiskas or Iams...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Neither honestly unless my pet had a special need.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My vet, absolutely. But I trust her with anything

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Hmm... Can I pick Chaz?
Definitely Chaz. LOL