Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Big Dog

Default Icelandic Sheepdogs - Tell me about them

I've recently become quite interested in the breed. I think they're ridiculously pretty and they seem to fit what I'm looking for in my next dog pretty well.

However, until the other day I've NEVER heard of them and I'm pretty sure I've never met one. Does anybody have one or have any experience with them? I'd love to hear more about them.

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
All For The Pit Bulls

One of my co workers has one called Falki. He is a very friendly dog,very focused and seems to be excelling in Treibball and picking it up easily. I have been watching him and met him a few times and he seems to be very owner focused and driven, looks like he is aiming to please her. He isn't shy. He seems to have a high energy level too, but hes well trained also so I have seen he has an off switch. Hes the only one I have met so far, but hes a very charming dog.

Jack, missing you every day since 12/6/11
Beagle, run free with Jack little friend, 4/9/12
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

There is one in the agility club I belong to. She seems sweet with people, and is wonderful with other dogs. But holy cow, I have never heard a dog bark like that. Shelties, schnauzers - they have nothing on this dog. I believe she was debarked at one point, but it almost totally healed. Maybe a bit quieter, but not a whole lot.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Their breed club has a pretty detailed temperament page: http://www.icelanddogs.com/Temperament.html
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Big Dog

Yes, the first thing I looked for was the breed club. I'm just really hoping for some personal experiences which seem to be few and far between. I've also contacted 4 or 5 breeders to get their opinions and experiences. It would be really cool if this breed was a good enough fit to add as my 2nd dog :]

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

I've only ever met two, one was at a Herding event, only got to take a couple photo's before she put him away and got out her Afghan hound to socialize, and a 6 month old at a bigger dog show, who was a crazy silly girl, her owners said she really liked to climb all over the back of the furniture, she was really adorable. I find them fascinating (another "dew" breed), but way to much coat on most of them for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Original Twin

I've only ever met one, and she was on a horse farm in Iceland. She was a neat little dog, friendly with anyone who was on the farm, without being obnoxious about it. Beyond that, I didn't actually really see her work.