Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default USDA deems preschoolers lunch unhealthy, throws it away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Ok... I can understand that school prepared lunches (like school cafeterias or food provided through the school) have to have a meat, 2 veggies, a fruit and milk. I get that but On what planet is it OK to take a lunch prepared for a child at home and throw it away.

I understand there is a childhood obesity problem... a big one but that doesn't make it OK for anyone else to decide what my child can and cannot eat.

The worst part was this particular incident the child had a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana and potato chips and apple juice and they took it and replaced it with chicken nuggets, veggie sticks and some other stuff. on what planet are chicken nuggets healthier than a turkey and cheese sandwich?

On top of that DON'T throw out perfectly good food that I PAID for with our hard earned money and THEN make me pay for the school lunch you forced on my child.

I agree that kids needs healthier meals but I also realize that kids are kids and they just don't like certain things... forcing them to eat them is only going to ensure that they will probably never again touch that vegetable as an adult. I didn't like most things as a kid. I didn't like meat unless it was a hamburger or chicken nugget, I didn't like most veggies etc etc. Now as an adult I happily eat all of those things and like them. you never would have gotten broccoli into me as a child but it's my favorite thing now. Had my mom forced me to eat it I probably wouldn't be eating it today. Hannah went through a very picky phase where she didn't want any veggies at all and not much int he way of meat. I left her alone about it, I presented veggies at meals but if she didn't eat them then she didn't eat them. Now she's becoming more and more willing to try new things and is starting to like veggies again. She's a kid, it's not unusual.

But yeah throw out a perfectly good lunch that the parent PAID FOR and then replace it with something even worse and then make the parent pay for that?

That's complete and utter BS. Again I understand the childhood obesity problem and if the child is relying on a school prepared lunch then fine... make those requirements whatever you wish but I find it absolutely unacceptable to start throwing out food sent by parents because the government said so. Are they going to start regulating what we are allowed to feed our kids at home now too? what we are allowed to buy at the grocery store? slippery slope if you ask me

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Get used to it. People everywhere think they have the right to tell everyone else what they should be doing.....in everything.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I read that story, and think the whole thing is absurd, but there is more to the story. The problem seems to lie with the school, not the USDA, or HHS (although there should be no such rule).

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/pre...te-inspection/

Now, I think that inspecting kid's lunches is absurd and outrageous, and that they have no right to tell parents what they can feed their kids unless the children are manifestly unhealthy. It is doubly ridiculous to require the USDA's current requirements in miniature for each lunch . . . perhaps you have your fruit and dairy at lunch and your meat and grain for dinner . . . and whose business is it anyway. I also wonder . . . how does anyone pass inspection if they are vegetarians?

But there IS more to the story of what happened here. The lunch should have passed inspection, and I have a suspicion that the person who inspected it was not only under-trained, but was encouraged to fail lunches so the school could make more money. Moreover, they are only supposed to replace the "missing" items, and she had meat. So, although the rule is outrageous, it was also implemented incorrectly.

Edit: Also, the headline is wrong. The USDA (and agency I despise, I'll note) just makes the daily standards. HHS made the rule, and the school implemented it. The USDA did not deem the kid's lunch unhealthy and had nothing to do with it being thrown away.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

This is the most rediculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Back in NS I had a teacher tell me I "had" to put fresh fruit in the kids lunch...

In those days, we were struggling and my kids would often leave the apple, bannana, etc to go bad... I decided not to waste my money anymore... And was treated like some kind of child abuser...

This was the same teacher who threatened to report me for having two children of opposite sex (5&6 at the time) share a room... That is was a twisted thing to do.... Our home was two bedroom....

I pretty much said go Ahead, our kids were happy, healthy, well adjusted and well fed... If sharing a room was going to mess them up, then there are bigger issues....

I also remember being very frustrated because at the time Jeff had a cousin popping out kids like candy, by different Dads, and our welfare system gave her a bigger place automatically each time... She had a far nicer, larger home than us... And had never worked a day in her life!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Twin 2.0

And on what planet does the USDA actually know what is healthy?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
And on what planet does the USDA actually know what is healthy?
Don't get me started on the USDA. I'm only defending them here because they actually are pretty much innocent of THIS outrage.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Actually, it turns out that the whole story is pretty much bogus now that people have looked into it more:

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/blog/2...-non-troversy/

There are still some things there that one might object to, I suppose, but its NOTHING like the original story.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Twin 2.0

For this particular instance, yes, the USDA doesn't fully get the blame. That does lie with the school.

I'd be pitching one hell of a royal fit if this had been my kid.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
For this particular instance, yes, the USDA doesn't fully get the blame. That does lie with the school.

I'd be pitching one hell of a royal fit if this had been my kid.
Ditto and I sure as hell wouldn't be paying the school lunch fee (even if it is less than $2) and if they are going to make an issue of this they can buy my groceries too

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney