Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Default Identification

1: Is your dog microchipped (I'm pretty sure less than 5% of the population is tattooed at this point)? If so, what company? Do you keep the information up to date?
**Both of the spaniels are microchipped. Neither were done by the breeder. Both were implanted at a low-cost clinic (the same time they took/passed their CGCs). The company is HomeAgain. I do keep the information up to date. It took me a month, but I just put our new address/info on there. I do not pay for extended services, they are only registered.

2: Does your dog wear a collar with ID? If so, when? What other tags, if any, are on the collar?
**In the winter they wear rolled leather collars (longer fur) with a name/phone number tag, rabies tag, and microchip tag. When they arrive, the license will be added to that. Just today I put the micro rubber bands around the tags to eliminate jingling! I don't know why I didn't think of that before. In the summer I rotate between nylon collars. They don't typically wear collars in the house.

3: If applicable, do you keep your dog licensed?
2/3 of the places we've lived, licensing your dog is "required by law." The one place it wasn't, only dogs declared dangerous had to be licensed. All have required Rabies immunity in some form (some accepted titers, some didn't). Where we live now they have different options for licensing and I like it (lifetime, potentially dangerous, dangerous... none are by breed; only past history). I am sending out a Rabies titer on Buzz (because my current vet likely won't write me a "your dog has had a vaccine every 3-4 years his whole life, he's almost 14, he's got enough immunity" like my friend's vet did) and the city will most definitely accept that! Hooray!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Both cats and both dogs are microchipped, even though the cats never leave the house. The two cats and one of the dogs are registered with home again . . . Docket's chip is kept updated by our vet (long story).

Both dogs and the cat that doesn't have allegy problems ALWAYS wear tags (collars are a problem for the other cat)

The dogs are licensed, as required. My jurisdiction doesn't have cat licenses, though Alexandria proper does.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
orange iguanas.

Nobody here is microchipped. Juno was supposed to get chipped when she got spayed, but I forgot to let the vet/techs know that lol.... and I'm not going to do it while she's awake, soooo at this point I don't really care anymore.

I'm really bad about keeping tags on. Lucy doesn't even have an ID tag and never has. But I switch collars so frequently with Juno and I get lazy about moving the tags too. Most of the time my justification is "eh, we're just going to the dog park, she doesn't need tags." When she DOES wear tags though, it's just an ID tag and rabies tag.

Cats and dogs in my city are required by law to be licensed, but in the 17 years we've lived here we have never licensed any of them. It's apparently not that big of a deal if it's never caused a problem for us.

God I sound like such a dink pet owner.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Nope, not microchipped

Always has a collar on, with 3 identification tags and her rabies tag with "get me home" number on it, which is registered online to us

Nope, not registered. It's rediculously expensive to register an intact dog

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM
*Now with Snark*

Everybody's chipped - registered with AKC CAR, Everyone has a collar that they wear when we go out, no one is licensed
Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Everyone is chipped. They don't wear collars at home, or at least not when I'm not there because I worry about freak collar accidents, but they do wear tagged collars when we go out and about. They are both registered with my local council. Touch wood, I have never had a need to look for them. They've never left the yard or been lost out and about. I am so grateful, it's my worst nightmare.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Are you dead yet?

Eve has an ear tattoo identifying her as spayed, and wears a collar with an ID tag. When she's in public with me, she has a vest identifying her as a service dog.

None of my dogs are microchipped.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM
such sights to show you

Everyone here is microchipped. In the house and yard they are naked but out and about they wear collars with an ID tag. The dogs are all licensed, but I keep their license tags and rabies tags on my keychain and they have Boomerang collar ID tags.

I've always had at least one dog that is or appears to be a mix of either rottie or some kind of bully breed, so I feel it behooves me to keep them licensed to appear as responsible as possible.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Let it be

I need to get Bandit licensed again. He is tattooed but not chipped. He also has an ID tag on his collar with an email on the back of it as I always seem to be changing my phone number.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Wookie Collie

Finn's tattooed by his breeder, and always tagged with contact and rabies vacc info. He's registered with the city.

He isn't microchipped.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014