Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
malmo's Avatar
malmo malmo is offline
Here to learn
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 676
Default Predicting adult size

Hi, everyone.

I've been looking for puppy growth charts across the web and came across this calculator at puppyweights.com.

Has anyone used this before? Does it seem to be accurate? I wish they said something about the algorithms or data they use.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Well, I don't exactly remember Keegan's weights at different ages, but it still seems to me like the calculator is not very accurate. Apparently he should weigh between 29 and 35 pounds (he's 50 now and should gain another 10 pounds or so).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Works (approximately) for Tango - he was 5lbs at about 6 months. This says he should be just over 6 pounds, which he is. At 10 months and a small breed, he likely won't grow much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Well, I don't exactly remember Keegan's weights at different ages, but it still seems to me like the calculator is not very accurate. Apparently he should weigh between 29 and 35 pounds (he's 50 now and should gain another 10 pounds or so).
He's TINY! Logan was 65ish when I got him at a year old, and now he's 2 1/2 and 76ish pounds. But he's also apparently a giant collie at 26"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
He's TINY! Logan was 65ish when I got him at a year old, and now he's 2 1/2 and 76ish pounds. But he's also apparently a giant collie at 26"
He IS small, right? I kept waiting for him to get a lot bigger, and he just hasn't done it. Jordan (his dam) is kind of small herself, and I didn't get to meet his sire to see how big he is. I do know Loki (Logan's sire) is quite large, and I'm always saying how Logan takes after Loki and Keegan takes after Jordan.

I haven't measured his height, but I'd guess about 24".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
He IS small, right? I kept waiting for him to get a lot bigger, and he just hasn't done it. Jordan (his dam) is kind of small herself, and I didn't get to meet his sire to see how big he is. I do know Loki (Logan's sire) is quite large, and I'm always saying how Logan takes after Loki and Keegan takes after Jordan.

I haven't measured his height, but I'd guess about 24".
Even at that, Logan was bigger than Loki. He's was bigger than everybody When I got him Mel told me he'd be around 80 pounds when he was full grown and I thought she had to be crazy, but she's pretty darn close!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Even at that, Logan was bigger than Loki. He's was bigger than everybody When I got him Mel told me he'd be around 80 pounds when he was full grown and I thought she had to be crazy, but she's pretty darn close!
Wow. I'll admit I was nervous when I saw how big Loki, Jackson, and Amos were.... I thought maybe all the boys in her lines were just really big. I wouldn't mind a dog that big, but I am glad Keegan's smaller.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
~WelshStump~'s Avatar
~WelshStump~ ~WelshStump~ is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 835
Default

Not accurate at all!!! Enda came home at around 9lbs at 8 weeks old. This site says she should have grown up to be... "Your Beauceron puppy is likely to grow to:
27 lb 1 oz
This is 59% below this breed's average"

She has "filled out" since her last vet visit so I suspect her to be no less than 56lbs, could be more. Nope, don't trust this site at all!
I'm not sure if I have any of Jinjo's puppy weights set aside in his folder or not, but I can't remember his at all, so no help there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Not accurate at all!!! Enda came home at around 9lbs at 8 weeks old. This site says she should have grown up to be... "Your Beauceron puppy is likely to grow to:
27 lb 1 oz
This is 59% below this breed's average"

She has "filled out" since her last vet visit so I suspect her to be no less than 56lbs, could be more.
Ha ha, Keegan was 9 lbs at 8 weeks, and should get to the upper 50 pounds.

Looks like Chazhound has more accurate growth charts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,077
Default

Doesn't seem very accurate to me either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM
malmo's Avatar
malmo malmo is offline
Here to learn
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 676
Default

Thanks everybody. Do you know of any reliable growth charts?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site