Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

Default fav. point & shoot camera

I love my camera, but I swear I can only get about 15-20 pictures out of a pair of batteries and am in the market for something to take with us to the Bahamas in July.

Suggestions?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Mutts to you

What kind of batteries does your camera use? My DSLR uses 4 AA batteries and I've found the Photo Lithium AA batteries last a pretty long time; I can get 300 - 400 pics (unless I'm using my flash a lot). I always carry a spare pack of batteries in my camera bag.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

it uses 2 AA

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

I love my Panasonic Zs3, which is no longer being made. It has 12x zoom, HD video and I ve gotten some excellent shots with it. There are new versions of it now. I think Amazon sells the zs9 for under $200 and if you don't care about a stereo mic then it would probably be a good buy. I have a zs10 as well which has a ton of awesome features but I think I'm probably going to sell it. While the sound would be great for normal video stuff, it's just too muffled for concert footage. Neither of these cameras tend to have the distortion issues with concert footage though, like most P&S and camcorders have. Otherwise, I like it fine so far (have only had it a couple weeks, so haven't tested it a lot) and all the crazy features are interesting.

Anyway the Panasonic ZS line are "travel zoom" cameras - intended to be excellent, compact travel cameras. I've had the zs3 for a couple years and have been extremely happy with it for both it's photos and it's video capabilities for a P&S camera. It's a good size too!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I love my Panasonic Zs3, which is no longer being made. It has 12x zoom, HD video and I ve gotten some excellent shots with it. There are new versions of it now. I think Amazon sells the zs9 for under $200 and if you don't care about a stereo mic then it would probably be a good buy. I have a zs10 as well which has a ton of awesome features but I think I'm probably going to sell it. While the sound would be great for normal video stuff, it's just too muffled for concert footage. Neither of these cameras tend to have the distortion issues with concert footage though, like most P&S and camcorders have. Otherwise, I like it fine so far (have only had it a couple weeks, so haven't tested it a lot) and all the crazy features are interesting.

Anyway the Panasonic ZS line are "travel zoom" cameras - intended to be excellent, compact travel cameras. I've had the zs3 for a couple years and have been extremely happy with it for both it's photos and it's video capabilities for a P&S camera. It's a good size too!
Is that what you have been using for your photos? I have/had the same camera, only one I've used for the last year or so and I completely loved it. I got my ZS3 November 2010 and it was perfect for everything I needed. The low light was rough and sometimes the color didn't come out perfectly, but I really, really loved that camera.

Unfortunately, just a few weeks ago it died on me and is gone for good. Told my friends I felt like I had lost an arm and a leg.

Some of my favorite shots from the Panasonic DMC-ZS3

Actually I have been looking for a replacement Point and Shoot (though have made it my priority to hunt for a good deal on a DSLR). How is the ZS10 in comparison to the ZS3, just for normal, every day pictures?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Top Dog

This was bumped up to a higher priority. I pulled the camera out on Saturday to take some new pictures of the house and it was giving me a 'zoom error' or a 'battery empty' error. The batteries were new, I bought them last week because I knew I was going to be needing the camera.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM
such sights to show you

I just had to replace my P&S, the old one was a Sony Cybershot and I don't recommend it. It was ok, but annoyed me to no end for a variety of reasons, mostly that it didn't have a very responsive shutter time and I was constantly "missing" pictures. A real drag since I mostly take pictures of my dogs. Also it didn't take very nice pictures in low light/indoors.

I replaced it with a Canon Powershot (I got the A2300) and so far I've been very happy with it, although I've had it less than a week. It comes with its own little rechargeable battery.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Actually I have been looking for a replacement Point and Shoot (though have made it my priority to hunt for a good deal on a DSLR). How is the ZS10 in comparison to the ZS3, just for normal, every day pictures?
To be honest, the ZS 3/5s were better than the new ZS10s... Much better low light on the older version. I don't much care for the newer versions...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Dafuq?

I am happy with my Nikon Coolpix L110. And I only use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Anything else is a waste of money. I just wish my camera took 2 instead of 4. ETA: They're making a new version of my camera now. I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm hoping my next equipment upgrade is to a DSLR.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My sister has the Nikon Coolpix 6200(?), the one that came out end of last year, anyway. She loves it. It's Pretty much the best you can go before getting into DSLRs. I think it was $269CAD just before Christmas

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13