Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Rimadyl - Long term use?

I've been googling, and reading drug information and testimonials about Rimadyl. Kiba was given a week-long trial of it to see if it helps with her knee. She's taken 3 doses so far (she takes it twice a day right now) and my ol' girl is back. From what I can find, the major side effects of this drug are Liver and Kidney problems, as well as GI upset and possible ulceration.

Has anyone heard good/bad things personally about long-term use of Rimadyl?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

I've done a bit of research into Rimadyl because of Murphy and his reaction to it, but I've never had a dog on it long term. From what I know, dogs should get a blood test before they start on it and every 1-2 months while they are on it to check liver and kidney functionality. The anecdata I've found on dogs that don't do well on it seems to indicate that they crashed pretty quickly and that most vets didn't do a blood screen prior to prescribing it (it reminds me of how some dogs react badly to grapes while some don't).

I don't know. I know some people that swear by it and some that are wary of it (including me).

ETA: I would insist on a pre-trial blood screen. And blood screenings every month, but that's mostly because of Murphy and how badly he freaked me out over it. YMMV.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

Hey, I'm not sure what the issue is that's being treated with Rimadyl, but have you tried anything else yet?

I know of many people (including high level agility competitors) who absolutely love Sasha's Blend. http://www.sashasblend.com/

I'm not sure if it's even applicable to your situation, but it might be worth looking into as a safe alternative.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
overdogged

It works great for a lot of dogs. Not sure I'd be excited to use it daily in a dog as young as Kiba unless it was really and truly necessary. Use the lowest dose that works.

Our policy at work is recheck bloodwork 2-3 weeks after starting, and then provided everything is normal, every six months.

Are you using any supplements? I'd be using a good Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement as well as an Omega Three Fatty Acids supplement.

I am very grateful for how much Rimadyl helps my Luce girl feel better when her knees are bugging her. I only need to use it as needed right now, but I fully expect for her to need it daily down the line.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

My parents' dog Max was on it for a long time and it helped him initially, and then it stopped (progression of everything, not really anything to do with the meds). The one thing that helped him even towards the end was Deramax.

At work we have pretty much the same policy elegy described.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Our vet did not mention anything about getting blood tests, so I'll be putting in a call about that tomorrow. The vet told me after the first week, we could do it daily or as needed - though I am not sure now how to tell when it is need - when Kiba is limping again? I have put her on a glucosamine/chondriton/msm, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil supplements.

Do you think it wise to ask for a different medication than the Rimadyl?
And her dx was a mildly slipping right knee, and her weird gait on the other side (the one I noticed) was most likely due to overcompensating for the discomfort).
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Do you think it wise to ask for a different medication than the Rimadyl?
If the Rimadyl is working, then I think Rimadyl is fine. The recommendations and risks are all pretty similar for all the standard non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam, Previcox, etc).
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Shamoo is on it daily for a couple weeks then phased off then back on. She's been like this for about a year and a half and we haven't had any negative effects yet. Of course she's an old lady and I wouldn't be thrilled to do this for a young dog.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Oh I meant to mention earlier, Gavroche can't do Rimadyl. He gets diarrhea and just looks out of it when he takes it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Oh I meant to mention earlier, Gavroche can't do Rimadyl. He gets diarrhea and just looks out of it when he takes it.
Interesting. Murphy looks tweaked out when he takes it and he gets scary aggressive. I've only had him on it twice (once was not on purpose) and both times he got in a fight. My vet says that he is the only dog she's ever heard of that gets aggressive on it though so I guess he's the 1%.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013