Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 11-18-2004, 06:30 PM
cyrillejubert

Default dogs drawings: masterpieces of the dog museum

Could you imagine that I would say that these drawings from the-dog-museum are not masterpieces ?

I drew them

... and my ego is sometimes a bit hypertrophied
but my talent too
is not it ?

mmmmm ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jack-drawing.jpg (15.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-01-2005, 10:15 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Have you more work? Would love to see it.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 AM
cyrillejubert

Default Study of a Korthal

Hi
I just come back from Palm Beach Florida, where I have been invited to give a watercolor workshop.
In fact my students were from very different levels in watercolor and even drawing, but I succeed to teach something to each one. I tryed to show them that you could paint anything with only four different pigments: ochre yellow, red magenta, cobalt blue and indigo (dark blue).

First lesson was a study of white. Mixing the 3 first pigments, we painted white hounds. Surprise ! It worked perfectly.
Second lesson.. mixing yellow, magenta and indigo, we could get a wonderful black to paint black dogs or anything. I chose a riding helmet.

Third lesson was to learn "to see". To see the reflections of disfracted light in real life, in photos and in paintings. See the blue, the yellow and the red reflects and the shades red-yellow, violet-blue, purple ....

Then I show how to paint a whole dog (always with my 4 pigments) exagerating these defractions.
I show you first a black & white image of this portrait
and then the original colorful portrait
Old 02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
cyrillejubert

Default dog portrait in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrillejubert
I show you first a black & white image of this portrait
and then the original colorful portrait
Sorry the image did not come up
here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kikoBWS.jpg (67.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2005, 05:31 AM
cyrillejubert

Default details of the eye

Now here is a detail of the eye.

I painted this during the workshop... that means that I was painting in demo but at the same time, I had to get up and go to help one student who was drawned, with too much water on her paper for her watercolor... the other one was lost in details instead of painting the whole subject, or the third one ... well ! it was difficult to be concentrated on my own painting.

Nevertheless ! this study shows rather well how to give volume and depth in a dog 's eye. There are about 10 superposed glazes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiko-eye.jpg (37.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2005, 05:37 AM
cyrillejubert

Default the dog 's nose

idem

I showed my students how to paint a humid dog nose.

You can see that there are a lot of tiny details and at the same time a real depth in the humidity of the nose, a strong light and a real shadow.

Once more, this has been painted with only 4 pigments
cobalt blue, ochre, magenta and indigo
look at the mustache...

Even if I did not have so much time to work on this dog... you have a lot of details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiko-nose.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2005, 10:40 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I wish I could have been in your class, you are inspirational. Thank you for a fabulous post!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Felurian

I'm very glad your class went so well, Cyrille. The language didn't pose the obstacles you feared, did it?

Your work really is marvelous. Even this 'study' catches the steadfast nature of the dog you've chosen to depict.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 PM
cyrillejubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
I'm very glad your class went so well, Cyrille. The language didn't pose the obstacles you feared, did it?
You are kind to ask... no ! as I arrived on friday in PB, I had time to speak a lot before the class on monday, so my english came back quickly.
Anyway, american accents are easy to catch not like english ones.
I felt rather shy the first day, but it is perhap's the same when different personalities meet for the first time. The second day, I knew exactly what I wanted to teach to each one. I had then a total confidence in me.
it is better so.

Do you paint, Renée ?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Felurian

I only frustrate myself if I try to work in two dimensions.

For quite awhile I made jewelry, mainly small faces, beaded and decorated with semi-precious stones or wee, tiny little ornamentations I made from Fimo. I've loved the Deco and Art Nouveau style since I was a child and most of the pieces have that influence. I hand cast the faces, clean and fire them, then apply the colors in layers to build up the complexion I want each one to have. I use special chalks to add "make up" then indulge myself painting the features. The eyes take several layers to get the right depth, complete with the striations in the irids. I love finishing the eyes in a lush fringe of lashes using a brush with only a few very long, thin strands. The lips also take several layers.

After the face is dry and sprayed with a good fixative I use a clear gloss liquid sealer over the eyes to bring them to 'life.'

Then, an only then, do my little ladies tell me what their costume is to be . . . some are quite lavishly surrounded by intricate beading, Austrian crystals or other ornate acoutrements; others are more subdued, some are quietly elegant, and every now and then one turns out to be a complete fantasy. One of my favorites wears overpainted jaguar "make up" and is surrounded by fiery orangey-red and dark chartreause bugle beads, gold seed beads and a fringe of dark green feathering.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian