Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Do you buy organic or "regular" meat?
I only buy organic meat 1 2.22%
I buy mostly organic meat 5 11.11%
I raise and eat my own meat 2 4.44%
I buy some organic and some regular 13 28.89%
I buy regular meat only 14 31.11%
There is no difference between organic and regular meat 6 13.33%
I don't eat ANY meat 3 6.67%
Chicken Sammich 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Organic or "regular" meat?

Do you buy organic or "regular" meat?

Probably 90% of my meat that I buy and cook is organic and free range- I also try to buy local if I can. There is a definite difference when it comes to taste and texture, IMO.

So... does that matter to you? Can you tell the difference? Do you buy organic, or do you just buy whatever is on sale or available at the store?

Poll to follow!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Regular. I don't like meat, I eat it because I feel like I need to have protein in my diet (and I don't like beans). If I could survive getting all my protein from peanut butter, I would! The only meat we ever buy is chicken breasts, and ground beef/ground turkey.

I really like Costco's boneless skinless chicken breasts. Two breasts in individually freezer wrapped packages, so convenient!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

pretty much whatever is on sale in the meat section at the grocery store or whatever brian shoots and brings home

So it's either grocery store meat or the REALLY free range stuff LOL. The organic stuff at the grocery store is so expensive and I have a hard time believing that there is much difference in the grocery store organic and the grocery store regular stuff other than a big price hike.

I am thinking of looking for somewhere that we can buy a half a cow or something... although I don't know that we have room for that int he freezer lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
pretty much whatever is on sale in the meat section at the grocery store or whatever brian shoots and brings home

So it's either grocery store meat or the REALLY free range stuff LOL. The organic stuff at the grocery store is so expensive and I have a hard time believing that there is much difference in the grocery store organic and the grocery store regular stuff other than a big price hike.

I am thinking of looking for somewhere that we can buy a half a cow or something... although I don't know that we have room for that int he freezer lol
I wish we knew someone who hunted because I would LOVE to have access to venison and wild turkey. YUM!

One of Ian's co-workers bought a whole cow not too long ago from some guy who raises them. I was definitely jealous. We don't have the storage space at all.

There are people in my neighborhood who have cows and I'm always tempted to knock on their door and ask if they can sell me some meat. Haha. They look delicious

There's a definite difference in taste between the Publix chicken breasts and their Greenwise organic ones. The organic ones are less fatty and a lot more tender.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I have about 250 lbs of organic, grassfed beef in my freezer right now . .. we just bought part of a cow. And 4 organic, pastured rabbits. And some of my aunt's grass-fed lamb, and her son's, "free-range" (LOL) venison. Trying to track down a good source of pastured pork, some more lamb, and some chickens, all in bulk so its cheaper. Oh, and some grassfed bison for something less than my first born child.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
I have about 250 lbs of organic, grassfed beef in my freezer right now . .. we just bought part of a cow. And 4 organic, pastured rabbits. And some of my aunt's grass-fed lamb, and her son's, "free-range" (LOL) venison. Trying to track down a good source of pastured pork, some more lamb, and some chickens, all in bulk so its cheaper. Oh, and some grassfed bison for something less than my first born child.
I've had the hardest time finding pork, so I usually just buy whatever is at the grocery store. The only time I eat pork is when I make pulled pork (NOM!) so it's tender and delicious and smothered with sauce anyway!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I've had the hardest time finding pork, so I usually just buy whatever is at the grocery store. The only time I eat pork is when I make pulled pork (NOM!) so it's tender and delicious and smothered with sauce anyway!
I find the treatment of pigs at feedlots to be even more upsetting than how they treat cattle. So for me its not so much the "organic" (which tells me nothing about how the animal was treated) but humane raising that motivates me. That and heirloom, pastured pork tastes better.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo eats organic, free range bunnies from a Minnesota farmer lol

Ryan and I eat regular meat.

Can you see who wears the pants in this house?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

I said that we buy both but honestly I think all of our "organic" purchases are accidental. We generally buy whatever is on sale. Someday I'd like to look into buying half of an all natural cow but we definitely need a freezer first! Or maybe I'll buy half an elk off my brother next year....that could work.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Walks into Mordor

I'm like Sparks. My major consideration is what's on sale, and the rest of the time I buy regular. I'm not a fan of organic. Knowing people on the production side of the industry, I know what's involved in growing organic. I think most people would be surprised at the relatively little difference between the two. Honestly, I think organic farming has as much negatives as regular, except that producers and suppliers can charge more because it's trendy.

Here's an article that I think sums it up pretty well.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4019

ETA: Since this article was written, it's been proven that organic foods are no healthier than regular. I need to find that article.