Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Let it be

Default Cat neuter?

When can I get my little tyrant fixed? I think he's about 5 months now. He's strictly indoors and has never stepped a little foot outdoors nor will he but I still would rather get it done sooner rather than later.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Glutton for Crazy

As soon as the balls drop.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
PSD Partner

Zen got done at 7 months and Pax will be spayed at 6 months. For the males I try and get it done before they learn to spray. For the females before their first heat cycle so that I don't have to listen to the screaming.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Yep, which usually seems to happen quite early. It's probably safe to say you can get him neutered now. On my Siamese, it was very obvious that his balls were ready to go (big brown balls on white short haired cat, lol!)
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Twin 2

Since I'm never a fan of early altering in pretty much any animal, I castrated our only male cat that didn't come already altered at about a year which was because I stopped being able to guarantee 100% he wouldn't get out.

Personally? If I can guarantee they won't get out and there isn't a behavioral issue such as spraying I don't alter. But that's me! A lot of cat people would do it in the womb if they could. I think the thing they always say (no matter how much it makes me cringe) is 4lbs or 4 months
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Personally? If I can guarantee they won't get out and there isn't a behavioral issue such as spraying I don't alter. But that's me!
Do you, or have you lived with any intact male cats? I was really tempted not to neuter my most recent cat, but did due to all of the horror stories you hear about intact male cats (once they start spraying they'll never stop, etc...).

I haven't personally met anyone who kept cats intact responsibly. As you say, it seems much more rare in the cat world opposed to the dog world.

I would be totally willing to (my cats are indoor only as well), but would love to hear some positive first hand experiences!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Do you, or have you lived with any intact male cats? I was really tempted not to neuter my most recent cat, but did due to all of the horror stories you hear about intact male cats (once they start spraying they'll never stop, etc...).
Yeah, my last cat Hamish was intact until about a year but I stopped being able to guarantee he wouldn't get out and he started spraying (not bad but sneaky) so he got castrated. He did stop spraying immediately. (I know of a good number of cats that never sprayed)

I've never really bought the horror stories, though I know exactly what you're talking about. Cat people can be vicious in their ideas of what cats will do if not altered and I personally think they exaggerate (if not outright lie) about a lot of what they say.

My parents kept most of their cats intact longer than most and never had an issue with then continuing to spray (if they were sprayers before) after altering.

ETA: My friend keeps her male cats intact with no issue! She altered (kitten that she found) one because she was hoping to find him a home but never did.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
PSD Partner

WHen I was fostering I had to deal with many a male cat that got neutered late and still would spray. For many males once they learn to do it if there are any females or other males around (intact or not) they will spray. All they have to do is hear them or see them through a window and they can spray a window or other enterances. I have also had a few that got neutered late also that did not spray but they were not as common.

For the females my issue is the screaming when in heat. Every hour all day and night. I can't handle that. I get migraines easily and hearing that with a migraine is no fun at all. So to keep my sanity they get spayed.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
WHen I was fostering I had to deal with many a male cat that got neutered late and still would spray. For many males once they learn to do it if there are any females or other males around (intact or not) they will spray. All they have to do is hear them or see them through a window and they can spray a window or other enterances. I have also had a few that got neutered late also that did not spray but they were not as common.
I think that's interesting because I have yet to know a cat who sprayed before altering (and I know of quite a few that never sprayed) that continued on after castration. But, none of those cats were in foster care or shuffled around. All where one home for life kinda cats.

Our family doesn't do female cats so can't give any insight on that.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I think that's interesting because I have yet to know a cat who sprayed before altering (and I know of quite a few that never sprayed) that continued on after castration. But, none of those cats were in foster care or shuffled around. All where one home for life kinda cats.

Our family doesn't do female cats so can't give any insight on that.
The stress of that could very well instigate it. Plus going into homes where there are smells of the past fosters before them could cause them to want to mark and spray as well. So that could be part of why I have seen it more.