Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Working bred, Performance Bred

Whats the difference?

If you were getting into agility would you look into a working bred dog at all? or would you stick stricktly with performance?

What is considered Performance and whats considered working?

Reason I am asking these questions is because If I look more in the Cane Corso I don't want a dog sticktly from show lines, but I finding it hard to find a breeder that has a happy medium. I have found some breeders that do Schultzhund and or agility, but alot of their dogs I dont find attractive.

Finding a breeder is hard work lol

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Resident fainting goat

I've found that working breeders tend to breed for a driven but more even temperament. They are bred to work, and do their work well and for a while and have an "off switch" so to speak. Stability, health, drive, workability, reliability.. that kind of thing.

while sport breeders are a bit more about the GO GO GO.. the extra push, the speed, the agility. For sports that are fast paced, timed, and not as frequent as say, a dog who was responsible for moving sheep everyday. The dogs are bred to have that OMG YES fun energy drive, the super fast speed, the energy and the temperament to easily get hyped for a fun game. in my experience.

I like to think of it as sprinters vs. marathon runners lol

In my experience, I prefer working bred temperaments. It's a little easier to live with because I DO NOT compete seriously in sports. and that kind of energy with no sport/high energy outlet.. well.. that's a recipe for disaster I think lol
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

I know of a lot of breeders in Schutzhund with performance/sport bred dogs, and others breeding for working dogs. I cannot usually tell that from a simple glance at a website or a few titles.

Depending on your own priorities, you could go either way. I know of MACH working bred German Shepherds, and even if I wanted to get into agility, I would still look for a working bred dog. Like Fran, I'm not going to be seriously competing in anything, and I know I can count on a working bred dog to dabble with me in virtually any sport.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

Personally I wouldn't consider breeding for agility or schutzhund as breeding for real work. A corso is a gripping and guard dog, if I were looking for a working dog of that type I'd be looking for someone who kept them for hog hunting and had maybe tested his dogs with a helper. (and if I were getting a dog of that type I'd get one bred for work)

There was a guy on another forum that bred presas, same kind of deal. He was a bullrider and bred bucking bulls on his ranch, and he hog hunted, and he was a contractor. He used his dogs for guarding stuff, catching cattle, catching hogs, killing varmints, the whole shebang. They lived free range together with little terriers and kids and seemed to do just fine. He took his favorite dog with him when he traveled, he said the dog had been in 40 states or something. He wasn't a breeder per se but he did have a litter every few years and if I were getting a presa or similar dog, I would plead and beg and try and convince him to let me have one of his pups lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Personally I wouldn't consider breeding for agility or schutzhund as breeding for real work. A corso is a gripping and guard dog, if I were looking for a working dog of that type I'd be looking for someone who kept them for hog hunting and had maybe tested his dogs with a helper. (and if I were getting a dog of that type I'd get one bred for work)

There was a guy on another forum that bred presas, same kind of deal. He was a bullrider and bred bucking bulls on his ranch, and he hog hunted, and he was a contractor. He used his dogs for guarding stuff, catching cattle, catching hogs, killing varmints, the whole shebang. They lived free range together with little terriers and kids and seemed to do just fine. He took his favorite dog with him when he traveled, he said the dog had been in 40 states or something. He wasn't a breeder per se but he did have a litter every few years and if I were getting a presa or similar dog, I would plead and beg and try and convince him to let me have one of his pups lol.
Thats pretty much what I am looking for, unfortunalty I have not been able to find a breeder of coros yet, that actually work their dogs.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Thats pretty much what I am looking for, unfortunalty I have not been able to find a breeder of coros yet, that actually work their dogs.
Yeah I know what you mean, they aren't exactly in abundance are they :/

I would say though that someone who raises dogs like that probably isn't going to have a website. Maybe try calling the corso club and ask if they know of anyone hunts pigs with them or owns a cattle ranch. Next I'd try posting on some pig hunting forums and classifieds and see if anyone there has some or knows of some. Of course you'd be shipping a long ways but if htat's what you're looking for it may be worth it.

Have you ruled out Ambulls? It may be easier to find a farm that has American Bulldogs that do actual farm activities and maybe does some PP as well.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Yeah I know what you mean, they aren't exactly in abundance are they :/

I would say though that someone who raises dogs like that probably isn't going to have a website. Maybe try calling the corso club and ask if they know of anyone hunts pigs with them or owns a cattle ranch. Next I'd try posting on some pig hunting forums and classifieds and see if anyone there has some or knows of some. Of course you'd be shipping a long ways but if htat's what you're looking for it may be worth it.

Have you ruled out Ambulls? It may be easier to find a farm that has American Bulldogs that do actual farm activities and maybe does some PP as well.
Thats for the advice, I will look into it. Oh maybe I should talk to Pops. He might have an idea.

I have looked into AmBulls, but have pretty much tossed them out because of their softness issues they have in the breed. Soft breeds and I dont go well together.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

To clarify, I think I often think in terms of extremes when I think of "sport breeders" - I don't think every (or even most) breeders could or should be labeled with either, and there certainly is no exact "criteria". I just happen to think of a very specified, sport oriented type of breeder when I hear the term "sport breeder".

When I get a German Shepherd, that's all I will be looking for. A good German Shepherd Dog
Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Semantics.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Semantics.
Yep that.

For me 'working' dogs are dogs that are used for a function in a real world setting. Performance/sport dogs are competition dogs. There can be some overlap.

If anything the BC world has taught me that the two terms are not well defined and are open to interpretation.