Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Enjoying the puppy life!

Default Feeding Schedule?

Hello!

I have had a few people tell me different things, so I thought I'd ask here.

Some people say feed puppies lunch until 12 weeks. Some say don't worry about feeding the puppies lunch.

Which is it? My plan is to give the puppy breakfast in the morning through a kong toy, and give din-din through training treats and then the rest in the bowl.

I was planning on getting an automatic feeder for him- for lunch time. I can come home some days, but not all the time.

Thanks in advanced guys!

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”~ Audrey Hepburn

Bruce the Brussels Griffon!! Born 6/19/11...HE IS NOW HOME!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

For a small breed I would feed lunch. We fed it to Tucker until he stopped wanting to eat it, I don't remember how old he was exactly, but still under 6 months.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Like Maxy said, for a small breed I would feed lunch just to keep the blood sugar levels more stable.

Sadie, our lab pup, ate lunch until we switched her over to adult food around five or six months of age. I can't remember if we fed Chloe lunch or not...if we did, we would have switched her to twice a day meals when she was around five months when school started back up.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Little dog, big voice

I would say keep the lunch until he's maybe 6 or 7 months old. Personally, I've kept Cali on a three meal schedule since we brought her home. She's about 5 1/2 months now, and sometimes she just doesn't want to eat it, but we still offer it to her anyways because as others have said, blood sugar can be an issue in the smaller breeds. I'll probably keep feeding her lunch until she's around 8 months old, since she usually gets training treats throughout the day anyways. So I agree with the others on the lunch.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM
PupDogTraining

Feeding a puppy as young as 6-12 weeks old ought to be carried out 4 times a day, puppies 13 weeks to 6 months ought to eat thrice each day and for the rest of their lives twice each day. Smaller meals are easier to digest.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:53 AM
All For The Pit Bulls

Yeah I would feed 3x a day. I fed my girl 3-4 times a day until she was about 7 months old.

Jack, missing you every day since 12/6/11
Beagle, run free with Jack little friend, 4/9/12
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Top Dog

With a small/toy breed, an afternoon feeding is usually preferred. However, if you work at all during the day, something a little more fun you can also try, buy a larger sized Kong toy or a couple smaller ones and fill them with some quality canned dog food, freeze it solid then give it to your puppy. Its very mentally stimulating for them and keeps them busy while you can't be there.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

With small and young puppies, I usually feed lunch until between 4-6 months old. Especially for small breeds.