Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Default Shock Collars

Heys guys. I just wanted to know what your opinions were on shock collars....
Old 11-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Big Dog

Well I personally do not have one. I have given a lot of thought to it and have seen it work on a lot of dogs. The cons are of course inflicting pain on your dog for misbehaving, and creating fear in them of the collar or being shocked. However, I have a couple close friends that used one and it literally only took about one day of using the actual shock for the dog to figure it out. The collar makes a beep as a warning first and the dog has learned that when it hears the beep, to stop doing whatever it is he is doing. Now, my friend does not use it at all, and only uses her commands, which were paired with the collar initally (drop, no, stop, etc..) Sooooo, I have come close to getting one but have not yet...I think I am too big of a weenie. My friend did try it on herself first before using it, and she said that it did hurt but just for a split second. I hope this helps....
Melissa
Old 11-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Thanks so much. I was talking to my dad about my dogs, because they have been fighting here lately. He said that I should use a remote shock collar on the one that is starting the fights, and whenever she starts to growl at my other dog, use the collar. I am still pretty skeptical about these collars. I don't really know that much about them. Thanks for your input though.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Big Dog

what kind of dogs are yours? Mine are fighting for the same reasons...one dog is reaching 1 year old and has decided to become the dominant one...The other is OK with giving in to that, with the exception of food and treats. Well I wish one of us could try the collar out and let the other one know if it works on fighting!!! GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I have a pit bull and a Boston Terrier. The pit is fixing to be a year old, and the boston is about 3 years old.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Big Dog

that is so interesting......My dog that is about to be 1 is a Pit Bull also. My 3 year old dog is a mix. Rosie (in the picture) has this newfound confidence that hasn't been seen before. She has decided to be the head honcho, and Bailey isn't liking it. I am always worried that Rosie will end up hurting Bailey. So far the fights have been broken up before one gets hurt. The friend that I was referring to about having the shock collar that worked used it on a PitBull mix dog. Obie (the dog) walks the straight line so far after using it. The problem with Pitts, is that they have such a high pain threshold.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Felurian

We're having to consider it also. Kharma is the original obsessive/compulsive herd dog. She won't stop when we call her off. She'll pause and look at us, then go right back and continue until she has all the cows where she wants them - whether we've told her to or not. It could be very, very bad if there was a cow trying to have a calf in the midst of one of her forays. I consulted with a friend who's a real Fila expert, and she told me that she'd had to resort to one with one of her males. Evidently he's so focused when there's a female in season that he'll go through safety glass, doors, fencing, etc., and has hurt himself a couple of times. The Filas have such a high pain threshold that they don't feel most collars, though, so she's going to send me some info on the collar she found that worked. I'll pass it on as soon as I get it.

I don't like the idea of having to do this, but sometimes you have to be able to get their attention in order to teach.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Puppy Dog

I used one on my black lab to show him where the property lines where in our yard. It took one day to train him. I have tried it on my yellow lab it doesn't phase him a bit. I gave up. As far as using the collar to stop dogs from fighting is a bad idea. A shock collar can increase the aggression in the dogs. If they are that pumped up it could back fire. Personaly I would use it for that reason.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Felurian

Yeah, Serena, I've said that many times. Now that I'm dealing with Filas, I'm having to reexamine something I instinctively recoil from as a tool. "Hardness" is a requirement for proper Fila temperament. Looking at a possible life threatening situation has made me consider things I'd never entertain under normal circumstances. These dogs evidently don't even respond to the average shock collar, and remembering how Kharma bit the electric cattle fence (that makes the 2000+ pound bulls think again) - twice - after it shocked her when she was about three months old . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Active Pup

Default Shock collar forsale

I have a small dog shock collar forsale if anyone is interested, it was used one month and worked like a charm, it has a remote with 10 different settings. It retails for $149 and I am selling it for $60 plus shipping. I am located in MS and can ship.

Email me at [email protected] if interested, postal money order only!

This is completely safe for your dog, it is made by petsafe and I had contacted the company before I purchased and they told me it was not harmful to dogs, it is like if you touch a door knob and get a static shock, and I have a hardheaded dachsund and this has cured her barking so I no longer need it.

Thanks, Jen

Last edited by Fur&Spikes; 11-13-2004 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Adding more info