Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Always Fighting!!!

Ok the girls are CONSTANTLY (and I mean CONSTANTLY) fighting!!! Anytime they are out of their crates they are running around bite and attacking each other. I know Hannah is just trying to play because she'll give her a little nip run away and grab a toy and wait for Lily to come and play. Lily, on the other hand, is constantly jumping and biting and growling at Hannah. I think Lily is trying to become the dominant dog in this family. Hannah will chill her out if she gets to rough and will bite and won't let go until she yelps but Lily will just keep coming right back. Lily is always showing her teeth while they are playing. If I say "knock it off" Hannah immediately covers her teeth back up and relaxs where Lily's still showing her teeth at Hannah and will jump on her two seconds later. I'm very worried about them. I have tried giving Lily time outs but she doesn't care and the second she is out she is jumping and attacking Hannah agian. She isn't drawing blood but I'm afraid that is what she is attempting to do. Is this just me being paranoid about them playing? I have never really seen these two actually get along without biting and chasing each other unless they are dog tired (excuse the pun). I'm just worried maybe Lily doesn't like Hannah. She always wants to be with her, they have to have their crates by each other and when I let Lily outside she immediately runs and sits by Hannah's so I can let Hannah out for them to play. Hannah goes outside first and gets food and treats and I TRY to give her attention first as well. Any suggestions?

Old 10-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

I think it's just her way of playing. Boris and Tips show their teeth and bark and growl a lot when they play too. Just keep watching them, if you start seeing Hannah growl and bark too, you can start worrying, because if she thinks that Lilly is going too far, she will let her know.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

That doesn't sound like fighting, you would know if they were really fighting. That sounds like normal dog play to me!!! Sounds like those two really like each other. Usually when you have two dogs around the same age that are close in size they will play like that. It's part of learning boundaries with each other and it's part of having two playful pups LOL!!! I wouldn't worry too much, even with the teeth showing, that is normal too when dogs are playing.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:14 PM
<------

If they are truly fighting or trash talking each other these will probobly be your most recognizable signs

- Growling (usually more of a constant growl with a sucking sound attributed with it and deep in the throat)

- Teeth showing and ears back flat

- Mounting (from behind or proping itself over the other dogs front shoulders while growling )

- Staredowns (this one is obvious)

- Stature (standing straight up stiff and/or with hackles raised)

- Tail positioning (straight up, but this obviously depends on breed)

- Face turning (one will turn its face in front of anothers)

- Pinning (this one can be obvious or subtle depending on the dog)

- Licking (while growling and showing teeth)
Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianK9
If they are truly fighting or trash talking each other these will probobly be your most recognizable signs

- Growling (usually more of a constant growl with a sucking sound attributed with it and deep in the throat)

- Teeth showing and ears back flat

- Mounting (from behind or proping itself over the other dogs front shoulders while growling )

- Staredowns (this one is obvious)

- Stature (standing straight up stiff and/or with hackles raised)

- Tail positioning (straight up, but this obviously depends on breed)

- Face turning (one will turn its face in front of anothers)

- Pinning (this one can be obvious or subtle depending on the dog)

- Licking (while growling and showing teeth)
Hannah will do a staredown with Lily. Usually Lily will stop staring first but Hannah will keep looking at her and then stalk up to her like a cat and pounce on her and run away. I don't think they pin each other although when one does get knocked over the other one is always there to bite them in the neck. I guess their just playing and I'm being paranoid. Just they sometimes get going so bad that it freaks me out. So far no injuries though, unless you count self inflicted injuries when they run into door frames and walls.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Fila Love

I think it sounds like they are playing. Puppies can play pretty rough.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Walks into Mordor

When Zeus and Jake (the neighbor's akita and Zeus' best doggie-friend) play together, it sounds and looks like doomsday. They're growling, chasing each other and wrestling. Only the fact that one will occassionally jump back into a play-bow shows that they're playing. There's also a major difference in the way they growl. Play-growling is more high-pitched and "growly" sounding. When dogs really growl, the pitch drops and the sound becomes more like a roar.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:52 PM
<------

yup sound like typical pups to me
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Sounds fine to me...you should hear/see Aubrey when her and Sawyer are playing. She acts like she's going to kill him and it's actually freaked out a couple people at the park who saw them playing and didnt' realize they're both mine.

You can definitly tell when they stop playing and start getting serious though. The whole feel of the room will change.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Top Dog

Why don't you get someone who really is familiar with dogs to come observe them. They're pups aren't they? Pups play rough.....they pretend fight. Are you sure that's not what they're doing? They growl, show teeth, pounce, stalk and all the rest of the things that they do when they hunt. They need to practice these skills and manuvers for adulthood if they were wild dogs. But as pups, it's play. If it's a real fight, I think you would have seen some injuries by now and not just a little knick either.