Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Felurian

Default First Aid Kit

LC212 reminded me of something in a post at one of Ali's photos. The vet clued me in on something very important to have on hand for your dog, particularly in the spring and summer months: Benadryl. Dogs are notorious for snapping at bees, wasps, hornets and any number of stinging insects that can cause a potentially life threatening reaction. My Bear got hold of a hornet and his nose and mouth started swelling. The vet told me to give him Benadryl. This is the important part: ONE MILLIGRAM PER POUND OF BODY WEIGHT. I started with half that dose, as I generally try not to overmedicate, and it worked quite well. He weighed just over 100 pounds, so I gave him (2) 25 mg capsules. The swelling went down quickly and the pain seemed to be alleviated as well.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GIVE BENADRYL TO YOUR CAT. It is only safe for dogs. Check with your vet the next time you talk to him or her as well and get the okay to give it to your dog if you should ever need to.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Puppy Dog

What are some other essential items that you should have on-hand in an emergency kit for your dog?? It's always good to be prepared so I'm hoping someone could give me a useful list?!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:28 AM

I'd also appreciate a list. My vet is an hour away, so it would be good to have things on hand to treat as best you can prior to getting to the vet.

Benadryl is such a good thing to have on hand. THANKS!!!!

I suppose the usual things such as bandages, etc., but would you wash out a cut (exception would be a puncture wound) the same way you would for humans? Would you ever use anything such as peroxide?? or should you just not touch anything and get to the vet a.s.a.p.?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:35 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
What are some other essential items that you should have on-hand in an emergency kit for your dog?? It's always good to be prepared so I'm hoping someone could give me a useful list?!
Hi all.
Here's a full list of what to have in a first aid kit for dogs:
http://www.dogs-4life.com/first-aid-...og-s-life.html

Hope it helps
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Keep these items around.

Benedryl can be used to treat allergic reactions and that can range from mild to severe. This includes bee stings & snake bites.

Vaseline can be used to seal small wounds. If the injury is causing air to escape from your dog’s body, coat a gauze pad with Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly and place it over the wound to seal it. Transport your dog to the closest animal hospital or veterinary clinic immediately.

An Ice Pack can be used to treat burns. Use cold water or ice to sooth the injury and take your puppy to the nearest animal hospital or veterinary clinic immediately... but never put antibiotics, antiseptics or cortisone on burns that are suffered by your dog.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Felurian

I'm sure that with all the experience and smarts on this forum we can compile the essential Canine First Aid Kit.

Benadryl - 1/2 to 1 mg per pound of body weight
Betadine
Neosporin Ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide (yup, Debi, wash out those cuts)
Sterile solution eyewash
Bandages
Bandage tape
appropriately sized splint (to immobilize a limb on the way to the vet)
Aloe Vera gel (burns)
Sterile gauze pads (to clean wounds, etc.)
Ice packs (in the freezer, lol)
Ascriptin or other enteric coated aspirin

There's a start. I should know what to use to induce vomiting, but I'm really not sure. We'll have to do some research on possible poisoning first aid . . .

Last edited by Renee750il; 05-14-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Active Pup

Default well

"There's a start. I should know what to use to induce vomiting, but I'm really not sure. We'll have to do some research on possible poisoning first aid . . "

my grandad used to tell us to give your dog a raw egg... it wont hurt them and it induces vomiting should they ever swallow something hazardous like poison... he has used this on his dogs for years anytime theres a stomach problem... he gives his cats raw eggs to make their coat shiny... cats will lap it up bc it doesnt effect them the way it effects dogs... cats do not throw up by eating raw eggs(at least mine never have and my grandads cats never have) but dogs will not drink them on their own you have to pour into their mouth like you would a liquid medicine.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Yorkie Love

raw eggs should not cause your dog to throw up.

Lots of people feed their dogs raw eggs as part of their diet.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Felurian

Here, Gus! I knew there was a thread like this in here

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Don't encourage me..

Thank you muchly!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch