Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Active Pup

Default Dachhund puppy 2 months Patch of fur

Hi ,

We got this new shothaired dachshund puppy like 4 days ago. It already developed diaria and also a cold. We got medicine for it , and it seems to be recovering very well. But today I noticed another thing, I see a very tiny patch of hair that has come loose at the left hip area. It seems to be a piece of skin that has come loose and already hardened up, now the tiny hairs are hanging as a matter a fact loose just a very small part of the skin is still attached to the rest of the body. I guess not before long the dog will rip the dead skin of, but what I want to know is , how this can happen and more importantly if the fur will grow back or not ??!?!?!?!?

Vets are very expensive in their examinations fees and I wish to know first If I need to worry about parasites or illnesses which can be causing this. Remember, we got it 4 days ago from a shop with other puppies all together. It is not recommended that we buy from such places, but the puppy was very to our liking, so ...

Please advise
Thank you so much
Ralph Honsbeek
Old 10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I believe you have a sick pup and should return it.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

It's really recommended to take a pup to the vet after you get it. Especially from a petshop. Your pup is sick and needs to go to the vet, or returned to the petstore.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Active Pup

Can we not be a little more optimistic , it's amazing how attached one can get to a new puppy, and returning it is of course not entirely out of the question, but we still have about 10 days as a test period. But the first signs are good as you already point out.
Why do you recommend returning it, after I say he lost a tiny patch of hair?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

I do because it might just be the first sign of lots of problems. Petshop puppies come from puppy mills that do absolutely no health testing on the parents, and it's pretty common to end up with puppies who have lots of back, hips problems and so on. That's why we're pretty much all against petshop puppies here... especially if the pup starts having problems so early. They are often seperated from their mom too early as well and it can cause some behavior issues later on. You can read this page for more info.

Although I got my pup from a rescue and he had a problem of the same kind around 10 weeks, and it's gone after 4 months. So I don't think it's a problem, but it can be roundworms, allergies, mange, and you need to take him to the vet to check for it. Besides, you'll have to go there for his shots anyway.