Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Active Pup

Default urination on carpeting

We have two dogs . The younger of the two, a four year old female Beagle mix, will urinate in the house when left alone but only on carpeting. If I barricade the two of them in the kitchen which had a wooden floor she is fine. This involves putting up four gates every time we leave them for any amount of time and though it's not that big of a problem I wonder if anyone had encountered anything similar or can think of a solution.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Some dogs are very sensitive about pee on their feet.... So if she pees on the carpet, it soaks right in and she probably barely notices it, whereas if she pees on a hard floor it may splash and the puddle will be harder for her to avoid.

There's not really any way I can think of to solve this problem, except to prevent it from happening. It may be easier to put her in a crate or a bathroom or something instead of having to put up a bunch of gates each time.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Love my pets

If she is peeing in the same area, it may be you're not getting the smell out of the carpet. Use Nature's Miracle to spray all over the area and let dry so it neutralizes the smell.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Big Dog

Some dogs urinate as a way of telling others that it's his territory. One way to deal with it is to train your dog at home. Show them where they are allowed or not allowed to do their business, because if you don't they will just feel free to do it where they please. So, one of the first steps in saving your carpet is by finding a great book on house training dogs, then putting it into use.

Also, close supervision is necessary. You must be dedicated to stop the marking behavior of your dog and you must be consistent. Never tolerate but don't be harsh also.

Keep in mind that they are still learning, so be patient. Goodluck!