Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Big Dog

Default Is drinking alot of water a bad sign of something?

This week Scooter has been acting a little less peppy, he is eating normal, wants to go for his walks and is his normal loving self but I have noticed he is always drinking water and just seems like he wants to lay with his head down. I can roust him to play but he will just play for that time and as soon as I walk away he is ready to lay down, normally he wants to bug the living day lights out of Cidney. I have noticed a lump toward his hip and it has me so worried. I have a vet appointment after work today. I hope he is Ok and its just me being paranoid.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 AM

well, the water thing..nope..sometimes they just can't have enough...The lump thing........go have it checked!!! Let us know what happens.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Felurian

I hope you mentioned the water and lethargy to the vet. He might want to check for diabetes.

Let us know how your baby is.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:57 AM

Just wondering how it went at the vet??? I got to thinking maybe he had a fever. Hope he is ok!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Are you dead yet?

Hmm, is it very humid? I was thinking if it is a bit dry outside, he will probably drink more and be a little more 'chilled out', but I would still rather be on the safe side, and take him to the vet. It could be Diabetes, which needs to be confirmed by a vet.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Big Dog

I cant believe I was so stupid and forgot to ask about the excessive water drinking. Scooter is back to his normal hyper smiling self and didnt seem like he was drinking this weekend as much as he did during the week - maybe he did have a fever or something. I am going to keep a close eye on him this week and if need be I will take him back.

The vet thinks the lump is just fatty tissue because Scooter is not bothered by it at all but will watch to see if anything develops. Other than that, Scooter was the most perfect patient except when he tooted out loud. I blamed the dog of course!
Old 10-11-2004, 12:30 PM

Sooooooo happy he is back to his normal self......LOL @ Cidney!!! the 'tooting' thing.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Puppy Dog

I am glad he is back to normal. I would keep a close eye on his water consumption and eating for a little while. Not to scare you but I had a black lab that was totally normal,except he started drinking a lot of water. I brought him in to see if he was diabetic. The vet did a rectal exam and found a mass. He had cancer. The vet told me there is a chemical produced in the body when there is cancer and it increases thirst. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 AM
Top Dog

Some dogs really drink a lot, some don't. My last dog, Gus, a Pit Mix, had jowls and drooled a lot and drank a lot of water. The two I have now drink very little, and never really stand there like the last one did and drink a whole bowl full. I would say both together drink maybe half what Gus did. All you had to do was show gus a piece of anything he liked and the drool started, big strings came down to the floor in about 30 seconds..