Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
FarmerGirl2010's Avatar
FarmerGirl2010 FarmerGirl2010 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 65
Default Getting Started?

I've always wanted to get one of our dogs into agility. Either Dawn or Velvet, just for fun. I just don't know where to start! Obvioiusly obedience is a start and something I want to start putting more focus on. The past two years of my life have been rough and I now have a lot of extra training to do because I have to make up for the stuff I didn't do before. :/

All the same. Where do you start with teaching agility? I know HOW to teach it I just don't know where to begin. Do you begin with jumps? Chutes? Weaves? Velvet already weaves through my legs in an attempt at "dancing".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
MafiaPrincess's Avatar
MafiaPrincess MafiaPrincess is offline
Obvious trollsare Obvious
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,134
Default

Best advice anyone can give you is to take a class. Agility is one of the more dangerous sports even to dabble in and learning safely is key.
__________________

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles


Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

Agreed--I think you really need to take a class to get off on the right foot. If you don't have time for that, even a private lesson or two so that the trainer can show you how to properly teach the skills would be valuable.
__________________


Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerGirl2010 View Post
I've always wanted to get one of our dogs into agility. Either Dawn or Velvet, just for fun. I just don't know where to start! Obvioiusly obedience is a start and something I want to start putting more focus on. The past two years of my life have been rough and I now have a lot of extra training to do because I have to make up for the stuff I didn't do before. :/

All the same. Where do you start with teaching agility? I know HOW to teach it I just don't know where to begin. Do you begin with jumps? Chutes? Weaves? Velvet already weaves through my legs in an attempt at "dancing".
If you don't know where to being, then you don't know how to train it. And agility training starts on the flat not with obstacles.

Agreed, takes classes with a good instructor, stay away from those 'fun agility classes' unless they are offered by people who do compete and title dogs in agility. (many instructors train and may even compete for other events, doesn't make them qualified to teach agility just because they have the equipment).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 PM
FarmerGirl2010's Avatar
FarmerGirl2010 FarmerGirl2010 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
If you don't know where to being, then you don't know how to train it. And agility training starts on the flat not with obstacles.

Agreed, takes classes with a good instructor, stay away from those 'fun agility classes' unless they are offered by people who do compete and title dogs in agility. (many instructors train and may even compete for other events, doesn't make them qualified to teach agility just because they have the equipment).
I suppose that IS true. I'll be looking into classes then though it's likely not something I can afford anytime soon. Just something I'd love to do with the dogs. Thanks everyone!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerGirl2010 View Post
I suppose that IS true. I'll be looking into classes then though it's likely not something I can afford anytime soon. Just something I'd love to do with the dogs. Thanks everyone!
Look we're not trying to shoot you down and typically teaching a dog in your backyard over some jumps and stuff should be fine. But get at least some knowledge first, even by reading, dvd's and best taking classes. The concerns are over facing a dog with jumps that are too high and too close together, slippery, too high or unsafe contact equipment (teeter, a-frame, dogwalk) to name a few.
Agility is a riot, very addicting and usually the dogs love it, just be safe and have reasonable expectations of your dog's physical and mental limitation when learning it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 AM
FarmerGirl2010's Avatar
FarmerGirl2010 FarmerGirl2010 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 65
Default

Oh I know that, adjorts. :3 I'd just prefer doing the classes and some research as opposed to just doing in the back yard. I know I COULD set up my own little training area but reading up or going to classes will come first.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Jynx Jynx is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 1,071
Default

definately take classes first, and then more classes, and then MORE classes, then get some titles on your own dogs.

Most people that want to get into agility, will not pay someone who has not been there done that
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site