Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Active Pup

Default Winter gear for puppy

Hi everyone!

The weather is starting to get nippy and I want to make sure my puppy doesn't get cold. Some people tell me that dogs don't need sweaters or coats, but some tell me to watch out for frost bites. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Winters can be brutal in Chicago. Can you give me some tips on selecting an outerwear? Also little booties?

I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank Chazhound forum and everyone! This is a great community for questions, answers, or just laughs. I have made a habit of coming here every day!

Thnx!!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Felurian

JP, we're glad you're making this a habit!

Is your pup the Boston in your avatar? If so, waterproof boots and a jacket are probably a good idea in Chicago, especially when there's been snow and ice that's been treated with a melting agent. You just don't want those chemicals on their feet!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Active Pup

Yes, my avatar is a pic of my puppy She's grown a bit, actually just got longer...So it's hard finding a jacket that fits. And her paws are so tiny, all the boots we've tried just falls off. I'll just have to be more diligent about my search, or make my own! I suck at these things though. Luckily winter is not here yet.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Big Dog

I know what you mean about the brutal weather. I'm up here in North Dakota with my Chihuahua (only one more winter before we move back down South!), and I find it impossible to find anything that will fit her tiny body! I was actually in the Chicago area a couple of weeks ago, and I found a little kiosk in a mall...I can't even remember the name of it...that sold some rather small dog clothes. It looked like perhaps the clothes were specially made, and it could be a place where you could even specially order some clothes if you couldn't find what you needed. I will have to see if I can look up the name of that mall.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Big Dog

Oh, good, we still had our information from the trip. The name of the mall was Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills, Illinois. The kiosk was in the second story of the mall if I remember correctly!