Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 AM
orange iguanas.

Default How would you fade this?

I'm still working on fine-tuning Juno's leash manners, especially in distracting environments. The treat that has been of highest value to her and keeps her trotting in perfect position even at the dog park has been peanut butter, which I put in a food tube.

My only problem is that I don't know how to fade the visual of the tube. It's to the point where if she doesn't see it, then she knows I don't have it. You know with other treats you can keep them in your pocket, and the dog never knows if you have them or not... but this plastic tube isn't exactly something that I can easily conceal in my pocket, or put out of sight in any other way? I haven't found anything else that generates the same response from her, otherwise I'd use that.... except for canned dog food... which of course also needs to be put in the tube

So I'm just looking for ways that I can alter her mind so she stops thinking "oh, I don't see the tube, you must not have anything."

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Put the tube on a shelf. Click for something. Go grab the tube and reward.

Also, maybe you can carry the tube in a ziploc baggie in a purse?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Bring the peanut butter with you. Give the peanut butter as a reward two out of three times (or four out of five) and use a different reward as the fourth time. Are you chaining behaviors in any way? For instance, if you have her sit, then stay, don't reward the sit, reward the stay. If she is doing a series of behaviors in succession, reward the last behavior, or the last two behaviors, or every other one.

As Corgipower suggested, you can bring the tube, but put it on a picnic table or something, and have her wait while you go get it, treat, then put it back. You could also use soft bread and put a dab of PB in the center, pinch close, and carry in your pocket (in baggie or container) along with your other treats.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM
orange iguanas.

Thank you! I only use it for LLW so there are no other behaviors involved (aside from the occasional automatic sit). Usually I just c/t every few feet, or if we're walking past another dog I usually have to hold it in front of her nose. It's always been a lot easier to just keep the tube in my hand, instead of constantly recapping it and putting it in my purse.... the idea of the Ziploc is pretty basic but I never thought of that! It would be much easier to keep one of those in my purse, and then I can just toss the tube in there and not care if it makes a mess. Also like the idea of concealing the PB in some bread. You guys are smart.

I really need to work on putting it away somewhere, and then going to get it when it's time to reward. That would probably make a big difference.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013