Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Big Dog

Default Training Treats

I wanted to get an idea of what treats you guys use for training. I would like to get some my dog is more into to try to get him to want to train. right now he will work for them untill it gets a little difficult and he just walks away.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Mutts to you

I use liver (boiled until no longer pink, rinsed, patted dry, then baked at 200 degrees until it looks like leather; you can cut it up into tiny pieces that won't crumble and freeze the extra). I also sometimes use beef roll.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Depends on what we're doing. For simple things they already know, it could just be pieces of kibble, for harder things it could be pieces of a cut up natural balance roll, pieces of meat, cheese, etc.

When trying to get the attention of a dog who doesn't rally care about simple little treats like kibble, try to entice them with something really yummy like liver or other meats.

Try to also see if your dog is driven more by toys than food.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I mostly use Starmark's Every Flavour treats, but I've also used Zukes training treats in chicken and peanut butter flavour before. I like those a lot, the size is nice and they don't crumble. I break the Starmark treats in half.

I've used dog treat jerky and cut it up into small pieces, NB rolls cut into small pieces, hot dog, cheese... Auggie's special agility treat was Cloud Star soft buddies in Peanut Butter but I can't find those around here, so I've switched to only using the Zukes PB treats at agility trials.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

I use lunch meat or leftover meat we had for dinner that's in the fridge.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

Mostly leftover meat and cheese, or deli end cuts that I cube myself, or turkey meatballs if I need some serious attention. For "dog" treats, I like the Zukes a lot, but they have nowhere near the power of real meat.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

I use whatever works. Cut up raisins, slivers of cheese, kibble when I have it, bits of leftover meat. I also switch from treats to tug of war for routine cues like sit, down, heel, stay, kill. For a dog that enjoys tug, having him do a sit for a couple of seconds, then giving the "kill" cue brings the new cue on the road. Tug a bit, then "give", a cue, then, kill again. I start with making the dog wait just a couple of seconds, then gradually have him hold the sit, down, stay longer and longer. And praise, of course.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Depends on where we are and what we're doing. If we're at home, kibble. At an empty park, or at class, I'll use diced cheese, hot dogs sprinkled with garlic powder, and homemade tuna treats. For keeping her attention in really distracting areas (pet store, busy walking trails, dog park etc), I have a food tube that I fill with either canned dog food or peanut butter.

You've just gotta find what works for your dog. Lucy would sing the Pledge of Allegiance for a Beggin Strip, but for Juno they only keep her attention under low distractions. Usually, the stinkier the better.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Cut up raisins
No raisins please; both they and grapes are toxic to dogs! There was a thread just recently discussing it.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

One thing to keep in mind that after meals is not a good time to train with treats; right before meals, though, is pretty much the best time.