Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

Question Food is not a reward

I need some tips for training a one-year-old rescued foster dog who seems not to respond to food. He is very attention-deficit and easily distracted. We are trying to work on heeling and other basic obedience, but food is not an incentive for this dog. We've tried a variety of dog treats, cheese, meat and baby carrots with no result.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Resident fainting goat

maybe a toy? a favorite tug or a short game can sometimes be a great reward
Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

Where are you trying to train and when? You may need to find a quieter, less distracting place to start training. Try it at a time when your dog has had some running and playing time, and also when they are a bit amped up from lack of exercise (my dog is actually easier to train when she has some pent-up energy, but many dogs do better if they are tired). Train before you feed the dog, so they are a bit hungry to start. Other treats to try - peanut butter, baby food or wet cat food, tuna fish - think about really stinky smelly soft things.

You can also use other things as rewards, such as toys or play opportunities like Fransheska mentioned. At one point when there was a VERY distracting groundhog hanging out outside the agility field, I had to ask Meg for something, then would release her to go run the fence line as her reward. I was amazed it actually worked! She'd come back to me when called to earn another chance to go look for the groundhog!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

How long have you had the dog? Some dogs take some time to settle in to their new home and new routine before they will start eating regularly and really come out of their shell.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

less distractions, skipped meal, and the best reward you have. Also what Lizzie said...som'times dogs appear to not be motivated by certain things because they are new
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

Thanks for your ideas.

I have known this dog for only a week and have volunteered to walk him every day. He has been in rescue for at least six months in three different places including a kill shelter, rescue group and now a private foster where he is one of about six dogs.Unfortunately his current place has no secure space, indoors or out, where I can really exercise him, so we depend on swift walks on-leash in the residential area.

I've read about keeping treats in my pocket on the side I want him to walk on and to reward him when he does heel. He doesn't want the treats and doesn't heel. I'm not sure how I would incorporate a toy into training him to heel.I have had him in my back yard to play catch and he loves that. He can retrieve a ball for hours, but he won't heel for cookies. The idea of giving him something soft and stinky is a good one, but I'm not sure how to offer that as a treat during walks on leash.

I can ask his foster mom not to feed him until after his walk with me.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Just try me..

The other thing is what are you using for treats? The whippets won't work for cheap grain filled treats (the jrts will work for anything)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

I've tried a few different dog treats, cheese, another dog's food (my dog's favorite treat) and carrots (another of my dog's faves).
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Just try me..

hmm then yes I would try waiting till you know the dog better and try in very low stress areas.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

I would not work on training him yet, since you have not built up any kind of relationship at all with him yet. He's probably still very uncomfortable in the home that he's in, and then taking him on walks is probably also a little stressful (though sometimes necessary).