Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default walking a dog daily?

Do most Chazzers walk their dogs daily? I walk my dogs daily unless it is raining, and I admit I have the occasional day when time gets away from me and I forget, but that is probably no more than 2 times a month!

do you think its okay to skip walks as long as you do mental exercises? and play fetch, tug, etc out in the yard.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I do not walk my dogs regularly - if I do, it's only in the winter due to the heat and/or insects. I do interact with them both indoors and outdoors daily, but I'm not in a position to go on walks.

I do have a large yard, and multiple dogs of the same activity level, so they get their 'cardio' running around with each other.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm All Ears

I walk my girls daily when I'm in an apartment. When I had a yard, we hardly ever went on 'walks' We'd do a weekly trip to the pond and then the rest of the exercise was done in the yard. (We have acreage though)
Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Xena gets walks several times a day. Rain or shine. We don't have a fenced yard, so her potty breaks are on the leash. In junky weather, some of the walks are quick trips, but she usually get's around 2 miles or so daily.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Resident fainting goat

Yup. twice a day every day. Im a big fan of schedules lol everything was always done on time
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Yep, we have alot of land for her to run and play on but she LOVES her daily walks. I think she enjoys the change of scenery more then I do.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Very Food Agressive

Izzy gets at least one walk daily (again, unless it's pouring though I think she'd have fun in the mud) And sometimes two if I can get Justin to go with me after dark. Izzy is just about intolerable without her walks so we try not to skip them but in the case of bad weather, we do try to teach a new trick or something to keep her occupied.

Lacquer Ninja

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
do you think its okay to skip walks as long as you do mental exercises? and play fetch, tug, etc out in the yard.
yeah, its okay if you skip a day here and there, but you don't wanna break a good habit so be careful not to let yourself go.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Yup, two good walks and a couple potty breaks a day.

We go from 6:30 to 7:15 before work, and my husband takes her when he gets home from work for another 45 minutes or so. Then in the evenings there are a few potty breaks around the block.

No yard = walks are a must.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
~Lisa~

I dont really walk my dog in a sense on a leash beside my all the time. Majority of our daily "walks" are biking riding any where from 5-15km's a day. depending on how I feel, and if any one comes with me that day.

I believe every dog should be able to get out every day and stretch their legs, see differnt scenery, smell new things and do somthing exciting.

Aside from bike rides, we do the dog park atleast 5 times a week (havnt in about 2 weeks due to rain and now the pains in my stomache hurt to much for large offleash hikes. as soon as surgery is over, we will be back to them lol) he goes for car rides probably 1-2 times a day. play ball ect.

I try to keep him busy as he becomes very very VERY annoying if bored. Not that he destroys anything or miss behaves. just he follows you, right on your heels, so if you stop too soon, he crashs in to you lol.

I dont see anything wron with missing 1 or 2 days a week. I do it somtimes. and I make up for it with being annoyed the rest of the night lol.

He is easy to amuse. he was on my heels for the last 2 hours. So i tied him to the bike and just rode for 20mins. Now he is sleeping lol.