Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Active Pup

Question What breed of dog is this?

OK every one, I have been looking at the Teddy Bear bread of dogs for a little while now. Have been looking to get one but waiting to come across that "perfect" one for me and my wife. I came across something interesting though today on google, it was a picture of a dog. I have never seen a dog like this and there is nothing on the website for describing the dog except for " The Teddy Bear Dog". Now I have seen many different Teddys now but not one like this and I am wondering if it is actually a Teddy Bear or a different breed. I hope that every one can help me out. Here is a picture:
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM
~Lisa~

looks like a pom with a haircut.

there is no such thing as a teddy bear breed. please dont buy a breed based on looks. it normally doesnt work out well. buy a breed that fits your lifestyle, temperment, energy level, shedding/brushing requirments ect
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

Teddy Bear dogs are mixed breeds, they can end up looking like anything really, there should be quite a variation in looks considering they can be toy poodle, bichon or shih tzu combined in any way. If that is a real picture (it has a fake look to it) then it may or may not be an actual mix of those breeds. it's picture could have been called "teddy bear dog" because the dog just looks like a teddy bear, not because that is his "breed". He mainly looks like a teddy bear because of his hair cut. kinda looks like a Pomeranian mix to me.

Why do you want one of these mixes? It is not a breed of dog so you don't really know what sort of temperament or look they will have...They could act or look like a Shih tzu, a Bichon or a Poodle depending on how the genetics play out and what breeds are used by the breeder you go to. If there is something specific you want in the dog a mixed breed puppy may not be the best route. Either a purebred puppy or an adult mix or purebred would be more likely to get you what you want.

What exactly are you looking for in a dog?
check out Pomeranian mixes on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't know, but having this dog would give me nightmares :S It's like when you're stuffed bear comes alive :|

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I don't know, but having this dog would give me nightmares :S It's like when you're stuffed bear comes alive :|
Worse yet...when their eye falls off.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Active Pup

Default Teddy Bear

Teddy bear is a bread of dog, it is a type of hybrid Teddy Bear Puppies for Sale

My mom has a teddy bear designer dog. She has had it for almost two years now and it is a great dog. Hers is a mix of three dogs I think toy poodle, bichon frise, and another breed that I can not come to think of right now. Any way, as I said in my original post, I have been looking for some time now, I have not decided on this breed because of its looks alone. I am basing my decision on personal experience of my mothers. We have a teacup yorkie now and plays great with my mothers dog. I am just trying to figure out if this is a teddy bear dog in the picture because I just never seen one like this. By the way I never thought about that but now that you mention it, I just had fond memories coming back from childhood sitting in my room at night scared that my stuffed animals were looking at me and waiting for me to fall asleep so they could play.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylereu View Post
Teddy bear is a bread of dog, it is a type of hybrid Teddy Bear Puppies for Sale

My mom has a teddy bear designer dog. She has had it for almost two years now and it is a great dog. Hers is a mix of three dogs I think toy poodle, bichon frise, and another breed that I can not come to think of right now. Any way, as I said in my original post, I have been looking for some time now, I have not decided on this breed because of its looks alone. I am basing my decision on personal experience of my mothers. We have a teacup yorkie now and plays great with my mothers dog. I am just trying to figure out if this is a teddy bear dog in the picture because I just never seen one like this. By the way I never thought about that but now that you mention it, I just had fond memories coming back from childhood sitting in my room at night scared that my stuffed animals were looking at me and waiting for me to fall asleep so they could play.
the article you quotes says its perfectly: " Teddy Bear dogs are considered "designer" crosses and are bred solely for appearance, rather than temperament, health or functionality. "

Go to a shelter or rescue, and find a cute fluffy dog that fits your needed and NEEDS a home. don't support these breeders, they are ONLY out to make money and don't really care about the dogs they are creating

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
the article you quotes says its perfectly: " Teddy Bear dogs are considered "designer" crosses and are bred solely for appearance, rather than temperament, health or functionality. "

Go to a shelter or rescue, and find a cute fluffy dog that fits your needed and NEEDS a home. don't support these breeders, they are ONLY out to make money and don't really care about the dogs they are creating
Actually this is where we are looking and why it is taking us so long to get one. We got our teacup yorkie from the shelter, we were actually looking for a different dog there that day and happened to see her and fell in love. I agree on the looks part but you dont buy a dog that you get not at all on its looks, of coarse you find the breed that best suites you and then you start looking for it, you find the one that is the best one for you and the one that you think is "cute". Not disagreeing with you at all I am just saying that I wanted to let you know that is not what we are doing at all is buying a dog because of just its looks. If we had the money to buy one $800-$1,500, I dont know maybe we would but we have always gone to the shelters for our dogs growing up and I just did the same with my last two dogs. The dog my mom has now is not from a shelter but like I said, I dont have that kinda money to put down on a dog to purchase it. After the purchase there is vet fees as well as many other small fees here and there that can quickly total in themselves $800.00. Maybe we wont find a Teddy Bear and we might just have happen to us like how we got our dog we have now, looking for the Teddy at the shelter we might just find a dog that we fall in love with and then it wont matter any more. For now though this is what we are searching for. The reason for the post though was not about us getting a teddy, I was wondering if any one knew what type of dog was in the picture. I have looked at some Poms now with short hair because of some of the comments posted now and I have seen some with very similar looks. The only thing I have not seen the same is the ears in the picture, the real fluffy thick hair around the ears.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Resident fainting goat

They usually are pomeranians given a very odd haircut

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Those ears are something else !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/