Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Default Mastiffs in a Multi-dog Household

Out of curiosity, are mastiffs generally good to live with small dogs?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Will Work for Kibble

I think it would depend on the dog - everyone's different.... but Capone does exceptionally well with small dogs and babies. We just tell him to 'play small' and he watches his step.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

Any tips on what to look out for, in relation to temperment between such a large dog and a smaller one?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Felurian

Are you considering a puppy or an adult?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I am just starting to consider a puppy. Initially I was thinking of a rescue, but since they are sooooo much larger than the dogs I have now, maybe a puppy would be better/easier in relation to transition and accepting wise (of other dogs)

Or what would you recommend?

I am just thinking about it for now. I don't want to jump into anything too quick.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

An adult rescue you would be able to know whether or not they're good with lil' ones.

A puppy's prey drive can kick in at any time and while you can teach them manners from the beginning...a teenage mastiff doing zoomies might accidentally trample something small...

How are your dogs with big dogs? I'd say if they're not afraid of bigger dogs (on play dates, dog park, or even meeting potential adoptees) and you can find an adult rescue who is good with small dogs, that would be best.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

I assume you are talking about an English Mastiff? If so, the ones I have known are good with other dogs. When they are puppies their size, clumsiness and sillyiness can lead to serious injuries for smaller dogs but usually aggression is not the problem. Not all Mastiff are as easy going as EMs though.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Taxiderpy

Just a question for the mastiff peoples here, but how common is same sex aggression in mastiffs? My aunt had a bull mastiff and Bart turned into a foaming raging monster if he saw male dogs. Females were okay.

Is the same gender aggression something to be wary of in the breed/s? Or was Bart a fluke? I imagine it would be something to be aware of if you're mixing big and small dogs in the same household.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 PM
ACoops favorite

Here is my opinion- as always, you can take it with a grain of salt.

With any giant breed, due to the possibility of severe problems and an extremely short life span, I would only go to a really, really good breeder.

I'd be willing to pay out the $2000.00 now rather then pay out the wazoo later if the dog comes down with something preventable.

With all of the idiots that are "into" creating "extra large mastiffs" or mixing random breeds of big bully dogs and calling them mastiffs; you just really don't know what you're getting.

I'd say if you want something smaller a rescue would be a really good option for you. You could also see if any show breeders want to rehome a younger adult or retired show champion who was raised around kids and dogs, but that's only if you're wanting an adult.

BUT if you want rescue, cschellenberger at dogforums.com is active in mastiff rescue, or she used to be. I bet she'd love to help you make a good decision, and quite frankly, she does give wonderful advice.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

also remember that not all Mastiff breeds are not the same. First you mentioned Mastiff, which is what most people say when they mean English Mastiff and then you talk about a Bull Mastiff. In my limited experience, they have fairly different personalities.

Neopolitan Mastiffs for example have very different personalities again. I think it is important to decide when one you are interested in first. But I would guess the EM would be the least apt to be DA of the mastiff breeds. I think they probably would also have the least prey drive and they have been bred to be pretty mellow.

Today's EM is not the EM of your Great Great Grand Father