Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Proud Schnoodle Mama

Default How many of you groom your own dogs?

We have a little Schnoodle pup, Stella, that we adopted back in June. We've taken her to be groomed twice. She's got long wavy hair that we have trimmed up, but we still keep her a little shaggy.

I bathe her, but have never "groomed" a dog. Besides buying clippers...where to you even start to learn how to groom your own dog??? I'd love to save the $50 it costs to have it professionally done.

How many of you groom your own pups and where do you start????

http://stellalind.wordpress.com/
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I groom my own dogs Its great!

I started by getting books out at the library, and reading up as much as I could. I also watched vidoes online, and rented videos specific to the style/s(breeds) I needed to know how to groom. The books helped me purchase the right kind of brushes, combs, and scissors for the dogs' coats (who knew there were so many different types of scissors - now that I know how to use thinning shears properly, its one of my favorite tools)
Do you have a petsmart near you? That grooms? I stood by there window and watched a couple of times (I'm sure they loved that lol) but I am a very visual learner.

Invest in a good pair of clippers. I love my Andis clipper. The pet set kits that they sell at pet stores just don't cut it. I went that route for a long time, and it was very hard. The blades went dull and the clippers died too often (I was not saving money by doing it at home that way). Also they were very hard to maneuver and clip the hair the way I wanted.
The andis that I use glides through the hair like butter, and does Not leave clipper marks (I used to call them racing stripes, because with the other clippers the dogs always had them for a couple days after being groomed).

In all honesty some of it is trial and error. Grooming at home can be a very rewarding experience, by both saving money, and I think the time with your dog is bonding and therapeutic even. But it can also be very challenging and frustrating. Just remember that it is just hair, and it will grow back

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 AM
CASSA

What you need id a dog comb and de matt spray.
this is needed in between grooms and will reduce the time it takes to groom.

When you dry a poodle or x there of you MUST blow dry them all the way and kinda UP to get the snats out that will occur due to the washing.

After dry you comb and back brush with a back slicker the entire dog if more poodle hair vs schnauser>.

Then you need a good clipper and a package of combs that clip on the clipper .
This allows you to trim your dog vs shave. Each comb has different size.

Never use anything but a 10 blade under body or feet NO comb.
Do a sanitary on the pup with no comb the rest comb.

However blades get hot you must buy blade cooler and press the blade to your arm tto check temp often. Most injuries are caused by BURNS. Do not due ears if you are not trained you can cut them. The body is better to practice on.

Best thing t do is get a p/t job as a bather and have someone teach you basics.
then quit and do your own dog.

good luck
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

I groom mine, I never trusted Groomer's.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

I groom Molly as I like her hair long and shaggy. Daily brushing/combing is a must for her and I've never had any problems with mats. It's not fair to the dog to allow mats to form.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I groom mine myself. I just kinda of wing it. LOL.

And when I'm lazy... I goto Giny (who's also a member who) who also lives in Maine. LOL
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm All Ears

I groom mine but yeah... it's not hard at all to do that.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I groom mine but yeah... it's not hard at all to do that.
details details!! lol
Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
details details!! lol
Haha. Forevr papillons has a good article and so does the PCA. I like the PCA's better. Both are about show dogs but you can make it work for pet dogs easily. (Just ignore clipping the whiskers and stuff)

GROOMING & TRIMMING THE PAPILLON

Basically... pin brush for the coat, fine tooth comb for the ears. Trim between the pads and around the foot with some grooming scissors. They're supposed to have a 'hare foot' which means you leave the hair on top of the foot long and kind of cut the foot hair into a point. It's not clipped close like most breeds. From the hock down on the back, I trim and clean up with thinning shears. Also from the ankle down on the front. Then I take thinning shears and just clip once or twice the tuft on top of the foot. Sometimes I shape the feathering on the butt and legs some, most the time not. Sometimes I do a sanitary trim too. They're really an easy groom. I don't take them to the groomers as I know so many people that took their paps to the groomers to find the ear fringe has been trimmed some. That's really not good.

But there are better instructions up there, lol! I'm actually going to groom the two now. Summer's getting big feet. Mia doesn't really need it but she needs to be okay with feet touching.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I groom Auggie by myself. I took him to be groomed once, and only once, and she trimmed him wayyy too much. He didn't need all that fussing. So now, I do all of it and he doesn't get all that fussing.
My biggest resources have been his breeder and the book Sheltie Talk, which has a whole section on grooming. There's also a book called The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming (I believe that's the exact title, it's something like that anyway) but I don't have that yet. A lot of the stuff in Sheltie Talk is too much fussing for little Auggie IMO. He's not a show dog so I don't need to do much.

and I CERTAINLY don't need to give him aussie pants like some groomers like to do...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog