Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Colors of your Breed?

Bre's Boxer thread got me thinking about different breed colors...

1. Which color(s) can be found in your breed?

2. Which colors/markings are considered unacceptable?

3. Pictures (or links) would be fun to see as well.

I'll start:

Chihuahuas

The AKC standard allows: Any color - Solid, marked or splashed.

Some examples of colors:

Examples Of Chihuahua Color Combinations

Border Collies

Can come in a rainbow of colors as well. I'm imagining that every color is permissable, as there is no breed standard.

Border Collie Colors - Welcome to border collie coat colors site! Help us make this a place to learn about breeding the colors of the border collie!!!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Squishy22

The only color/pattern that is unacceptable in APBTs is merle, I believe.

Ok, now my fave color of all time in the pit bull...

This color is called champagne, if I am not mistaken.

Just because we are on the subject of color, I would like to post my all time fave. This is not my breed. These are catahoula bulldogs and the color is red merle (the two pups up front on the right).

One of these days, when I find the right breeder, I will get my hands on a red merle longhair chi. One of my dream dogs.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Reggin, that color is "champagne", but it's one that has been bred into the dogs by irresponsible breeders and byb just breeding for color alone. In fact, the term is even challenged by reputable APBT owner/breeders because it is a fashion-derived term.

This constant breeding of blues to blues and the dilution effect happening is not just creating a whole host of "new" coat colors, but a whole host of new dogs with new issues that are not positive ones for our breed.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Reggin, that color is "champagne", but it's one that has been bred into the dogs by irresponsible breeders and byb just breeding for color alone. In fact, the term is even challenged by reputable APBT owner/breeders because it is a fashion-derived term.

This constant breeding of blues to blues and the dilution effect happening is not just creating a whole host of "new" coat colors, but a whole host of new dogs with new issues that are not positive ones for our breed.
I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know. I just thought it was very pretty.

That is a shame. I dont come across too many APBTs that are that color. More often than not, I come across blue, which I dont care for. Probably because most of them are too bulky and over sized.

Red nose pitties are usually a lot better looking. Better put together.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Salty Sea Dog

cresties can come in any natural color...
my next one, i want either a black, black and white (whos more black than jasper) or a chocolate/liver.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
cresties can come in any natural color...
my next one, i want either a black, black and white (whos more black than jasper) or a chocolate/liver.
lol im pretty sure one of your cresties has been pink before!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Wookie Collie

Border collies come in B&W, B&W tri, red, red tri, blue merle, blue merle tri, red merle, red merle tri, sable, and Australian red (looks champagne-ish). All are permissible by the AKC and CKC breed standard, not that most proper border collie owners care about kennel club standards. :P

Also OMG Jessie, that colour site makes me cry. Crazy show/colour breeders.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Taxiderpy

Borzois can be any color. Though, nobody has ever seen a merle one and I don't think they exist, it doesn't prohibit them in the standard.

The Russian standard recently made ticking a fault. Which is crap because they did it for totally cosmetic reasons, and there are many top quality dogs with ticking.

Lots of photos
borzoi coat color reference

My favorite is brindle, self black, or black masked red or sable. Any sable, red, fawn, silver, etc.

The next MALE I get will NOT have white on his front legs or belly though!!! Oh my. gosh. I hate getting the pee stains out. Now watch, since I said it my next male will end up being pure white.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Puppy Dog

I have collies. They come in sable, tri, blue merle, sable merle, and white (with sable, blue, tri, or sable merle markings. they can be tri or white factored as well. Sables have a varierty of color differences too. I will attach my rainbow of puppies. Sable merle does not exist in the show world.

Hudini :: Puppies3weeks087.jpg picture by Currywoodcollies - Photobucket

there is a lab or two mixed in there as well.

Last edited by currywoodcollies; 09-11-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: link didn't work... oops
Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Just to add for the Collies because I can't resist ...

In the US, we have 4 accepted colors (by the standard) - tricolor, blue merle, sable, and white (with a colored head of either sable, tri or blue). The tricolor, sable, and blue will all have some sort of white markings (often called the 'Irish pattern'). You will also have the sable merle color, and they are quite common, but the color is not listed as an acceptable color in the standard(s). Also, in Europe, white is NOT an acceptable color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by currywoodcollies View Post
I have collies. They come in sable, tri, blue merle, sable merle, and white (with sable, blue, tri, or sable merle markings. they can be tri or white factored as well. Sables have a varierty of color differences too. I will attach my rainbow of puppies. Sable merle does not exist in the show world.
Currywood, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do want to clarify this. Actually, sable merles do exist in the show world, they are just shown in the sable and white class for Roughs. (Smooths are not separated by color, so they're there too along with everyone else). And yes there are some lovely ones who have done some big winning too!

Adding the sable merle to the standard is a hot topic right now in the Collie world, with people on both sides of the fence. Personally, I think it should be added - the color is not related to any health problems, and you would only have to be careful with how you bred them just like a blue merle.

And some stats I've seen in several different places ...

According to CCA & AKC statistics over 200 sable merles have finished their AKC championships since 1990 when AKC added sable merle to the color selection on registration papers.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)