Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Water Junkie

Default Lopto Vaccine?

So, I'm doing my first vaccine myself (eek!) for the pup and I've been looking at vaccines (and wow, I'm suprised at how cheap that are!) and comparing what I'm getting with what Blaze's little 'puppy pack' that he got from the vet says. Blaze got two Lepto vaccines, one at 12 weeks, and another at 15 weeks.

But I'm reading where most vets say DON'T give a Lopto vaccine to young puppies. Whats the deal?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Lepto is the vaccine most likely to produce an allergic reaction. We didn't give this one to Auggie, and I definitely wouldn't give it myself knowing what kind of reactions can result.
I also believe many people are of the belief that this is an issue where the risks of the vaccine outweigh the benefits of being vaccinated. I'd suggest you look into how animals pick up lepto and decide if it's something you really think the little pup needs to be protected against it. If you decide to go ahead with it, I'd let your vet know so if you need to call them and rush in with an allergic reaction, they have a heads up before it happens!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't give lepto anymore but paps are known for having bad reactions to them. Most vets will recommend a 5 or 7 way vaccine.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Small dogs and puppies are more likely to have an adverse reaction.

Keep in mind also that the vaccines cover 2 or 4 strains of lepto, but there are 8 strains that can infect dogs.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

My JRT, Micki got Lepto a few years ago. We assume he got it by killing an infected mouse, and we almost lost him. And he still has troubles today with his kidneys and I'm honestly not sure how long his kidneys will continue funtioning. Since then we vaccinated all of our dogs for it, and as long as I have terriers who will hunt/kill critters they will be getting it.

Not sure if I'd give it to a Lab puppy though..
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Water Junkie

No, I did not get the vaccine with Lepto in it. I got the Canine Spectra 5. Just the basic things. And she's getting de-wormed tomorrow with my trainer's wormer that she used with her last litter.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

As someone else said, lepto can cause allergic reactions in a lot of dogs. We have two combination shots, one with lepto and one without for that specific reason.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
As someone else said, lepto can cause allergic reactions in a lot of dogs. We have two combination shots, one with lepto and one without for that specific reason.
We do not give the shot to any pup under 8 weeks of age. But after that, they get it unless the owner refuses.

There was quite a major Lepto outbreak all across the US a few years back and it included humans in its path.

People have to be careful because none of these diseases just disappeard, but rather with the amount of people vaccinating against their are just fewer reported infections (much fewer). But when a whole lot of people stop vaccinating, then the disease is going to make a comeback in terms of reported infections.

In 2007, we treated 8 cases of Lepto. Maybe not too high a number for some to reconsider vaccinating for it, but only 1 dog survived. And the fact that it can be spread to humans doesn't exactly make me all happy to have to treat a dog with something that I can catch yet I wouldn't have been put at risk if one had just vaccinated for it.

(Of course I understand vaccination contraindications so don't jump on me for my opinionated comments )

And GO, correct me if I'm wrong, but Fort Dodge now produces a vaccine that protects for 4 strains of the disease over the previous standard of 2.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
And GO, correct me if I'm wrong, but Fort Dodge now produces a vaccine that protects for 4 strains of the disease over the previous standard of 2.
dunno about ft dodge, but phizer has one (vanguard L4) and also has a dhlpp with the four-way lepto (vanguard plus 5/L4).
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Big Dog

For puppies, I do not (nor my vet) gives Lepto. We have toy breeds and they have a high tendency to have reactions to it.
We do not give anything that contains Lepto before the 1 year booster.

Gave this inof to a puppy buyer before...they and the vet did not heed my warning, gave Lepto, puppy got very ill and ended up in the ER.