Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Big Dog

Unhappy What kinda worms are these?

**This is really gross**
This morning, i noticed something white, hanging off of apollo's bum, since his tail curls up a little bit, it's alwas showing. I thought it was maybe a grain of rice from being in the kitchen, or perhaps a little bit of fuzz. He didn't like me near his bum-bum too much so i had to pin him down and lift up his tail what i fount was a little worm it's in the shape of a half moon...Flat on the bottom with a huge curve, exactly like a half moon, except it was completely flat. I knew it was alive becuase when i saw it, it was crawling. I managed to get it off of him and further examined it becuase i couldn't believe it. I threw it in the garbage and about an hour and a half later i found ANOTHER! and got it off as fast as possible and went out looking for de-worming pills. I'm really good friends with someone who knows alot about dogs and works at the most revered pet shop in our tiny town and she said they were "hook worms" and very dangerous to his intestines causing him not to eat. I believed her considering that he wasn't finishing his dinner. She told me to take him to the vet to get a de-worming pill but he goes in anyhow tommorrow to get neutered. I was going to ask them to do it then, im just curious as to what kind of worm these are and how they catch them so that i can prevent it from happening again in the future. Any advice would be most appreciated
Old 09-20-2004, 06:02 PM

Could be tapeworm. Ask the vet to check, of course. Also, if you haven't had him checked for heartworm....having the vet do it while he is there for the neutering is a good idea. They'll do it while he is still sleeping. You can then maybe get Interceptor....also kills hookworm, whip worm, and roundworm all in one tablet given once a month. Let us know how he is after seeing the vet tomorrow. I'll be thinking of him!
Old 09-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Big Dog

Thank you debi
The thing is, i've looked up all different kinds of worms that dogs can get and i didn't see anything that resembled this. he pooped on the rug, a rather large one if i might add which is very un-usual normallly he never does that we let him out and he has a poop in the morning and a poop at night but he really let it go on the carpet and i didn't notice anything in it. As nasty as it sounds, i checked just to make sure. When our old dog had tapeworm it came out in strands... this is just a little worm about..
(___) That big. it was very small, and very white. He's been alledgedly de-wormed from the shelter and i was told that it might just be the worms leaving the body due to the vaccination, but we've had him for over a month they should have came out before and i've never seen this before. i'm definately getting it checked out while he's there. I know he'd be a hard one to feed a big pill like that.... it was hard just to get the worm off of his tushie
Old 09-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Felurian

It's probably still a tapeworm, just in a different stage of development. Sometimes, when they're excreted in an early stage, they look like grains of rice. Ooops, won't be fixing rice for dinner tonight!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
It's probably still a tapeworm, just in a different stage of development. Sometimes, when they're excreted in an early stage, they look like grains of rice. Ooops, won't be fixing rice for dinner tonight!
LoL I don't know anything about worms because they gross me out. I can't even read about them. Somehow, though, I manage to tell the vet its the worms that look like rice, or the worms that look like spagetti

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Big Dog

Lol, Yuckie... well wouldn't tapeworm come out in his stool if it was tapeworm? even in an early stage?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Felurian

Sometimes they come out with the stool, sometimes they crawl out on their own. You really wanted to hear that, didn't you?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Big Dog

OH yes it helped me keep my dinner down lol Hopefully i wake up in the morning and they are all inside of him still, i don't wanna see anything crawling on the floor... Yucccckkkk....
How would he catch tape worm?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Felurian

They're carried by fleas. Fleas harbor the eggs, then when the animal bites (and eats) the flea, the eggs somehow anchor in the intestines on the trip through. At least that's the way it was explained to me years and years ago by a family vet.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Big Dog

well that's exactly what happened then... Poo... Oh well, i'll explain it to the vet and she can help take care of the problem physically... So nasty... Poor apollo i feel so bad