Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
AGonzalez AGonzalez is offline
Not a lurker
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,702
Default My son wants a cat?!

He's wanted a kitten for a long time, since he was 3 or so. We never could have one because I KNEW Smokey was not cat friendly (accident with neighbors cat) and in the light of re-homing Lily (which I've found her a good home but they are waiting to move in their house and be rid of their roommate so she's staying here until then, even offered to give me money to hang onto her, which I refused but it was a nice gesture) we are considering letting him have a kitten, probably for his birthday (October) or Christmas (if it's X-mas we'll wait until sometime in January to look and give him needed supplies for a kitty at X-mas)

I intend to watch Craigslist or go to a shelter for a kitten, it's not something I care if it's purebred or not and probably a shelter because I want it spayed/neutered - I'm not dealing with a cat pissing on my furniture because it want's to go get some, lol.

Obviously Jasper is good with cats, as DrMom said and I'm guessing Fran has a cat? So I'm not concerned so much with him, but Lacey I don't think has ever been around a cat (at least not at my house) we have a good solid "leave it" with her but I also have concerns on whether or not she'll be ok with a cat, as I don't have anyway to test her on this. So how do you go about testing? I'd love to see how she does with one before committing to such a thing, I don't want my sons heart broken because my dog killed or hurt his cat.

Now to be honest, I don't like cats a whole lot, and I'm allergic to them. Long hairs seem to be better than the short hairs for me so that's where I get to make the decision - it will be long haired. I say "it" because we haven't decided on male or female. I can tolerate the long hair (i.e. it doesn't make me sneeze and itch myself to death, just minor allergy). I have no expectations of my son to be the caretaker of said cat/kitten obviously but it will be good to teach him responsibility considering I'll be there to make sure the animal is taken care of.

I tried to convince him a puppy would be better and easier to integrate, but he wants a cat, seriously, who turns down a puppy for a cat? No idea why but it's been a long time and he's not giving up on this. I've finally broken down to a "we'll see" instead of a "no we can't have a cat because..."

Also, I know that black dogs usually have lower adoption rates, is it the same with cats? For "just a pet" I'd like to find one that really needs a home, though I have to say I'm more drawn to a white/siamese looking cat personally. I haven't asked my son because I don't want to get his hopes really high and find out that Lacey won't be nice to a kitty and he can't have one.

So what do you guys think, can it be done?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,332
Default

I would meet the cat and hold it a bit first to test your allergies. I speak from experience, for not just the length of the hair.

Any older cat will need a home. And just like a dog get one that appeals to your family and will be a good fit. Cats are as individual as dogs are.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
He's wanted a kitten for a long time, since he was 3 or so. We never could have one because I KNEW Smokey was not cat friendly (accident with neighbors cat) and in the light of re-homing Lily (which I've found her a good home but they are waiting to move in their house and be rid of their roommate so she's staying here until then, even offered to give me money to hang onto her, which I refused but it was a nice gesture) we are considering letting him have a kitten, probably for his birthday (October) or Christmas (if it's X-mas we'll wait until sometime in January to look and give him needed supplies for a kitty at X-mas)

I intend to watch Craigslist or go to a shelter for a kitten, it's not something I care if it's purebred or not and probably a shelter because I want it spayed/neutered - I'm not dealing with a cat pissing on my furniture because it want's to go get some, lol.

Obviously Jasper is good with cats, as DrMom said and I'm guessing Fran has a cat? So I'm not concerned so much with him, but Lacey I don't think has ever been around a cat (at least not at my house) we have a good solid "leave it" with her but I also have concerns on whether or not she'll be ok with a cat, as I don't have anyway to test her on this. So how do you go about testing? I'd love to see how she does with one before committing to such a thing, I don't want my sons heart broken because my dog killed or hurt his cat.

Now to be honest, I don't like cats a whole lot, and I'm allergic to them. Long hairs seem to be better than the short hairs for me so that's where I get to make the decision - it will be long haired. I say "it" because we haven't decided on male or female. I can tolerate the long hair (i.e. it doesn't make me sneeze and itch myself to death, just minor allergy). I have no expectations of my son to be the caretaker of said cat/kitten obviously but it will be good to teach him responsibility considering I'll be there to make sure the animal is taken care of.

I tried to convince him a puppy would be better and easier to integrate, but he wants a cat, seriously, who turns down a puppy for a cat? No idea why but it's been a long time and he's not giving up on this. I've finally broken down to a "we'll see" instead of a "no we can't have a cat because..."

Also, I know that black dogs usually have lower adoption rates, is it the same with cats? For "just a pet" I'd like to find one that really needs a home, though I have to say I'm more drawn to a white/siamese looking cat personally. I haven't asked my son because I don't want to get his hopes really high and find out that Lacey won't be nice to a kitty and he can't have one.

So what do you guys think, can it be done?
as the black thing, its DEFINETLY the same with kittens. the black ones are often the LAST ones to get a home and often the ones PTS because they kind of fade into the background and dont catch the eyes of people

as for getting a kitten, i think its a FANTASTIC idea. kittens are loving and playful, but aren't the same crazy amount of responsibility as a puppy. my aunt bought a kitten for her neice and its working out perfectlly, her little girl feeds her in the morning, cleans the litter box and brushes her and thats basically all there is to it.

as for allergies, here are some tips my mom uses

- wash the cats bedding OFTEN
- if you have carpet, vacuum
- febreze makes a great smelling airspray that is also an allergen reducer

brush the kitty once a day, and they also have moist cat bath wipes that help with cat dander

keep the kitty off the furniture, cats LOVE couches and stuff. but giving them their own place to hide (high and away from the dogs) it will soon become their favorite place

CAT TREES = <3 they make some great modern easy to clean ones and its always been a favorite of cats in our house


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM
AGonzalez AGonzalez is offline
Not a lurker
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
- if you have carpet, vacuum
- febreze makes a great smelling airspray that is also an allergen reducer
Can't I skip a step there and vacuum the cat? I do it to Lily, she doesn't seem to mind the brush part of the vacuum too much. I am also a Febreze-***** and soak my house in it to begin with, so that will help.

Ok cat people, what's a good cat litter to use? I cannot stand the smell of cat pee at all so I need something that smells decent and covers that nasty smell.
Hubby agreed to getting Matt a kitty for his birthday so we should have a new addition soon.
Also, what kind of stuff do cats need? I understand a cat box, litter, dishes, food...what am I missing here? A new puppy, easy! A cat? No clue, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM
mjb mjb is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,194
Default

A scratching post.........or if you have room, a cat tree is wonderful and has material that the cat llikes to scratch.
Cat nip to attract the cat to the tree or scratching post in the beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,971
Default

Our cats loved stuff like smooshed plastic pop bottles and twist ties for toys. HOURS of entertainment to be had for free.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 PM
mjb mjb is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,194
Default

We have found it works great to have a gate in the doorway to the room where we feed our cats and where the litter box is. That was the dog can't get to either. Some people put them up on the dryer, too. I'm sure there are quite a few creative ways to keep the doggies out of the food and litter, but we were fortunate to have a storage room that houses our kitties' food and litter, and has a gate in the doorway.

Actually, our vet had told us sprinkling meat tenderizer on the cats' food would make their poop distatesful to dogs. I couldn't vouch for that, though. We never tried it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
Can't I skip a step there and vacuum the cat? I do it to Lily, she doesn't seem to mind the brush part of the vacuum too much. I am also a Febreze-***** and soak my house in it to begin with, so that will help.

Ok cat people, what's a good cat litter to use? I cannot stand the smell of cat pee at all so I need something that smells decent and covers that nasty smell.
Hubby agreed to getting Matt a kitty for his birthday so we should have a new addition soon.
Also, what kind of stuff do cats need? I understand a cat box, litter, dishes, food...what am I missing here? A new puppy, easy! A cat? No clue, lol.
Well here is my list
- litter box for kittens usually start from low normal ones and work your way to to the hooded ones
- litter (my fave is precious cat ultra premium cat litter) Amazon.com: Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter: Home & Garden
- Bowls/ mat for under bowls
- Wet food
- CHEAP toys lol most are like $1, little furry mice, bell balls thingy, crinkly bits, cat teaser toy
- cat scratching post/cat tree thingy.. amazon has some great cheap ones
Amazon.com: Armarkat Cat scratching post condo B2501: Home & Garden
- Breakaway collar and tag with bell. if the cat is going to be indoor only. i always write "if im alone/outside, im lost!". the bell just gives birds and such a chance to get away before the cat kills them lol
- Brush, a good slicker brush usually does the trick plus a softer brush
- kitty wipes, (baby wipes work fine 2) like giving ur kitty a bath but without risk of injury lol cats usually like the wipes
- Nail trimmer, the earlier they get used to it, the better.
- LASER POINTER!!! lol nuff said'
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Labyrinth's Avatar
Labyrinth Labyrinth is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
Can't I skip a step there and vacuum the cat? I do it to Lily, she doesn't seem to mind the brush part of the vacuum too much. I am also a Febreze-***** and soak my house in it to begin with, so that will help.

Ok cat people, what's a good cat litter to use? I cannot stand the smell of cat pee at all so I need something that smells decent and covers that nasty smell.
Hubby agreed to getting Matt a kitty for his birthday so we should have a new addition soon.
Also, what kind of stuff do cats need? I understand a cat box, litter, dishes, food...what am I missing here? A new puppy, easy! A cat? No clue, lol.

Actually, some cats will let you vacuum them! I was able to vacuum my cat Sam (RIP), but never tried until about a year before he died. My other cat wanted nothing to do with it though

For litter I really like Feline Pine. Feline pine is recycled wood pellets that turn into sawdust after drying, and I've never noticed a urine odor with it.

As for supplies, that's pretty much it for necessities. Cats tend to play with whatever they want. Bring home a nice expensive cat toy? Great, they'll play with the receipt or the bag it came in. You can also get a bed, but they'll sleep wherever they want to. Cat trees are awesome, but my boys have done fine without one and just hang out on the backs of chairs or on top of the dog crates if they want to get up higher. I don't keep a collar on my boys since they aren't allowed outside.

One thing you will want to get if you don't have a spare already is a crate for trips to the vet, etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:22 PM
AGonzalez AGonzalez is offline
Not a lurker
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post

One thing you will want to get if you don't have a spare already is a crate for trips to the vet, etc.
Good thinking on the crate! I don't think an XL plastic crate would be appropriate for a 10 lb animal...I only have XL crates. I imagine a small crate wouldn't cost an arm and a leg either...what a wonderful idea! I could take the crate and stuff it full of cat goodies and wrap it up for my boy.

I kind of like the idea of a cat for the express reason that if I need to go home to AZ I can load it down with food and a cat box and have someone check in on them and not worry about it barking and driving the neighbors insane, chewing my house to ribbons, peeing on the floor, etc. As it is I've missed going home to AZ because Lacey came in heat and my mom has intact male dogs (that are fenced with no neighbors for 5+ miles so they aren't out getting at anything lol) and we didn't want to have to keep her locked up the entire time.

Oh flushable litter? That sounds like a winner there! Pine should smell decent too.

So does sex really matter with cats? I prefer female dogs (I've had both) because they seem to have a different attitude about things, same with cats?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site