Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
SimAlvin

Default What's Your Opinion? Should I Find a New Vet?

Alvin has been with the same vet since we got him a few months ago. Recently, the vet did bloodwork for a neuter and called us with the bad news that Alvin might have a liver shunt. Needless to say, we were more than a litttle upset by this news.

The vet then did a second blood test. These results were normal; liver enzymes were within acceptable levels.

Today he did a third blood test and said the lab he uses admitted to possible calibration problems - all blood tests done on the day of Alvin's first blood test may have been wrong.

I like this vet - he takes the time to explain issues and is conservative in his approach (hence the second blood test).

What would you do in this case? Find another vet or stay with this one?

By the way, if Alvin could voice an opinion, he'd say "Let's forget about the vet entirely. If you drag me through his door one more time to get stuck, I'm gonna run away at the first opportunity."

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

In cases like this I would go for a second opinion . I've only had had 2 clinics in over 50 yrs and with their 5 or 6 vets at each trusted them completely . Folks , it may cost more , but find a good clinic !!! Both of mine started in the 50s .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Puppy Dog

If you really like the vet, then why not tell him about your concern regarding the incorrect lab results? Ask him how he plans to prevent this from happening in the future. Will they use another lab or has this lab taken steps to remedy the problem?
Good vets are very tough to find...

Jennifer
Tailcreek Mastiffs in Alberta Canada - Home
Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 PM
sheplovr

I would say that is a dumb thing to get the wrong results, that would lead me immediately to another vet for opinion and advice.

I do not go to the vet only for Rabi 3 yr vac, spay or netuer, hip xrays, heart and thyroid testing by special vets as I am a Breeder. I do not use flea vials, and all the junk vets push onto people. I use natural remedies.

TO ERR IS HUMAN....TO FORGIVE IS CANINE~~~~

!!PAT~~
Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Taxiderpy

It sounds like your vet is honest and open with you, as well as cautious with diagnosing a potentially huge problem with costly and invasive treatments. He did go back and triple check the blood test to make sure it was correct after all and shared with you the new info of the lab mistake. If you like them and they are taking good care of your dog, why change?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
SimAlvin

Default And the THIRD blood test was bad . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmills View Post
Alvin has been with the same vet since we got him a few months ago. Recently, the vet did bloodwork for a neuter and called us with the bad news that Alvin might have a liver shunt. Needless to say, we were more than a litttle upset by this news.

The vet then did a second blood test. These results were normal; liver enzymes were within acceptable levels.

Today he did a third blood test and said the lab he uses admitted to possible calibration problems - all blood tests done on the day of Alvin's first blood test may have been wrong.

I like this vet - he takes the time to explain issues and is conservative in his approach (hence the second blood test).

What would you do in this case? Find another vet or stay with this one?

By the way, if Alvin could voice an opinion, he'd say "Let's forget about the vet entirely. If you drag me through his door one more time to get stuck, I'm gonna run away at the first opportunity."
Okay - an update on this blood test saga. The THIRD blood test showed the same issue as the first - high liver enzymes.

The vet made his lab run the test again and requested the lab supervisor re-do the test. On the FOURTH try, the liver enzymes were with normal levels.

I'm more than a little apprehensive about using this vet and his incompetent lab people. The last explanation was that the centrifuge was not working as it should.

Now what do you think about staying with this vet?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like your problem is not the vet, but the lab he uses. I'm sure there aren't labs sitting on every corner like McDonald's, so I would just bear with him, and ask if there is another lab that he could try. If not, have them do it again!

Besides, whats to say the next vet isn't using the same lab?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeback Guy View Post
It sounds like your problem is not the vet, but the lab he uses. I'm sure there aren't labs sitting on every corner like McDonald's, so I would just bear with him, and ask if there is another lab that he could try. If not, have them do it again!

Besides, whats to say the next vet isn't using the same lab?
^This.^

I've used multiple vets who have all used the same lab. even vets in different parts of the country, the same lab was used.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

It actually sounds to me like the vet is pretty good, making the lab redo and redo the tests.

Maybe ask the vet to use a different lab?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM
SimAlvin

Default OK - the vet's persistent

The lab's incompetence is all very weird for my taste. I guess I could have had a vet who accepted the fact that a seemingly healthy dog was in medical distress (this is what the first blood tests indicated).

I know this sorta scenario happens with people all the time. But still, I guess we really do need health reform, starting with getting accurate test results.