Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Shiloh Kennels

I am interested in purchasing a Standard Poodle from a kennel named Shiloh Kennels. Their website is shilohpups.com. They don't mention Standards on their websites but there are like two other breeds they mention. They are from Forest City, Iowa. Has anyone heard of this kennel, anything good or bad. The lady wants a non-refundable downpayment for this puppy soon and so I'm really nervous. I know breeders do do it like that but I want to make sure this place is ok.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Stare at my avatar....

In my opinion, I don't like that lady too much. She's crossing Caveliar King Charles Spaniels with Bichons and making Cavachons. Any breeder that does this, isn't that reputable at all. Just my 2 cents.

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 08-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well I didn't like that fact about her either Beagle lover. She really seems to know the purebreeds that she breeds though and they do show fairly often. When I talked to her she answered questions that I hadn't even asked her yet. There are only a few standard poodle breeders around us and we don't want our puppy shipped to us, we want to personally pick up the puppy meet the breeders and the puppy's parent. This is the best of the breeders we could find by us. One that actually does tests and gives guarantees and a pedigree and will do full registration.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

I would be careful, it's weird that they wouldn't show poodles on their website if they breed them. And what the hell is a cantel? They're talking about a breed they created? I would stay away from them personally.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Island dweller

This alone http://www.shilohpups.com/page461.html sends off warning bells. I don't like them and I think your instincts are saying the same. Why are you getting a new dog already? You've had so much stress lately why don't you just focus on your two babies? The right dog will find you when you are ready. You don't need to use a breeder like this.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Run the other way!!!!!! These people send me red flags all over the place! Total puppy mill if you ask me. Julie, trust your instincts on this one. I have a major feeling that the lady you have been speaking with has been lying to you. If you are still not convinced then ask for proof of health screens i.e. actual OFA certificate etc., pedigrees on the potential parents of your pup, pictures of the parents and if they show so often then they should be able to supply you with a show photo etc. Standard poodles are a very versatile breed, but they need proper training and socialization. Plus, it will cost a fortune to have one groomed every few months. Julie, you have been through so much lately, you don't need another heartache. Please do more research.

Julie, please read this page before you purchase one: http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/p...epamphlet.html
Old 08-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
This alone http://www.shilohpups.com/page461.html sends off warning bells. I don't like them and I think your instincts are saying the same. Why are you getting a new dog already? You've had so much stress lately why don't you just focus on your two babies? The right dog will find you when you are ready. You don't need to use a breeder like this.
Saje, that is exactly what sent out a huge red flag to me!!! Who on earth would buy a dog like this especially when the so-called breeder won't even disclose it's heritage? Looks like a cavalier/poodle cross to me!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I wanted to wait to get a poodle until after our two were out of their puppy stage but we have been talking about having another baby and my husband wants to make sure we have this dog properly socialized and obedience trained before the baby is here. We have just started to not be worried about Hannah knocking Emily flat on her face and we want to make sure this dog will already be a tad bit older before we introduce another baby (we want the dog to be atleast over a year old). I have gone over the pros and cons of having this dog after all that I went through and I think that I can handle it, my husband has started taking more of an active interest in the other two (seeing as they are his dogs). I just want to make sure that I find a good breeder who's not going to screw me over.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Julie, I will say that out of all the different people on this forum you are one of the one's that could handle it, but keep in mind standard poodles are VERY hyper! If you want the dog, you know what's best for you, but please do yourself a favor and find a reputable breeder! Good luck
Old 08-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Rusty but Trusty

that's what I am looking for, I hear all these horror stories about badly bred poodles and it scares me to death (almost away from the breed) but I just think they are such great dogs after reading about them and hearing from some people about the good experiences (and some bad experiences). I saw one standard at the vet that was pretty good (still very young though). She listened so well to her owner (for the most part) and was very gentle with Emily (even though she was jumping on everyone else). It seemed like she knew Emily was little and delicate. I still have A LOT of reading up to do, and I'm still hoping that a rescue will adopt me a standard (that would be my first choice rather than going to a breeder).