Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Big Dog

Question Do flea collars ACTUALLY work?!

Wohoo!!! Apollo has his first batch of major fleas that i know about. We bought him a flea collar. It was the most expensive one on the whole store, i'm just wondering if they ACTUALLY work. Or if it's just a scam to get your money. The reason i'm asking so bluntly is becuase i was reading the paper that came with the collar and it said "To activate: Stretch collar" so i stretch, and i stretch, and i stretch some more and nothing seems to be happening lol, maybe i'm just daft but it seems fishy to me. How do they work? What can i do to relieve his constant itching.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:18 AM

Just my personal opinion...no, they don't seem to work. I've even seen them irritate the skin, and that's all. Maybe bathe Apollo in a good flea shampoo and then use Frontline or something similar. That seems to do the trick for my pups. (I don't remember the exact name, but got it from the vet and it is applied at the neck)
Old 09-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Big Dog

The only problem is bathing apollo in flea shampoo is that i've got to actually get in the tub myself to hold him still. He takes alot of shampoo lol. If i have time today im going to go look at some better forms of flea control, thanks for your help
Old 09-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

No..they don't really work unless you get the ones that kill the eggs only..those seem to do that at least..but they don't get rid of the adult fleas..so its kinda pointless really...might as well go with a shampoo..or ask your vet about other alternatives that you can use for a short time as possible.. (I hate using chemicals/additives/drugs/you name, it on my dog unless its absolutely ABSOLUTELY necessary).

Let us know how it all turns out..good luck.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Felurian

Get a flea shampoo that uses Neem as the active ingredient. It's a plant derived insecticide that works beautifully, but is very benign to mammals. I normally have to wash off thoroughly with cool water after using flea shampoos on the dogs because they make me horribly itchy and red, but the Neem doesn't bother me in the least. If it's not bothering me, it should be safe for the dogs - at least safer than the fleas! It also kills those fleas faster than anything I've ever seen. Once Apollo's thoroughly dry, apply the Frontline. You'll have to reapply it every 4-6 weeks, but you won't have flea problems.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Big Dog

I keep checking him all the time to see if i'm killing any. His hair is really rough so it's hard to get the stupid things when they are right down at the roots. well its hard with him than it is with the yorkie. Mom's not to happy though, she's scared since he's got them they are going to infect the other animals so she wants me to kill them as soon as possible, thanks for your help renee i'm gonna go out and look for some of that, im gonna have a huge supply of flea stuff lol. The flea collar i just bought siad it killed eggs, but ur right it's not doing crap about the adults, i think it's mutating them and making them bigger, they jsut came out of nowhere and he's scratching himself raw it's starting to scare me so the sooner the better.

What's better to use? Frontline or advantage? and which is cheaper lol
Old 09-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Felurian

I think the Advantage is probably cheaper, but it doesn't seem to work as well, at least not out here in the country. I used it on Bimmer and the girls, and it gave Bimmer some relief, but didn't affect either one of the girls. When I got the Frontline, no more fleas.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Active Pup

i think they work.well they do on my dog but we also put this liquid stuff on his back once a month that works good too
Old 09-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Big Dog

K, im going to look into the frontline. I want to make sure i get rid of all of them, after what i read last night im' really desperate.