Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM
maxfox426's Avatar
maxfox426 maxfox426 is offline
My dog tickles my soul
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,755
Default Running/Jogging with a Dog

Okay, I have read bits and pieces on this topic in the past, but for the life of me I cannot find anything with the Search function...

Anyways, I am just curious to learn more about the risks/rewards of jogging with a dog. I have gone out for two brief walk/jogs with Morgan in the past two weeks (and by that, I mean we jog about 5 minutes and walk for 10, jog another 5, and then walk home... I have pitiful endurance at the moment. )

I guess my main concern is about running on the concrete. I know that the impact could potentially be a problem, and I don't want to risk injury to Morgan by overdoing it. However, I don't really know what would be considered "too much". Is there a time limit? Or should I just not take him?

He has seemed to enjoy our two brief ventures, and I would really like to build up my endurance and start a fitness routine with it... and I like having company.

Morgan is 19 months old, and about 52lbs... if that makes any difference.

Of course, there are probably aspects of this that I am overlooking... but this is why I ask you guys!

Thanks in advance for the input!
__________________
~ Cynthia ~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Dogs6's Avatar
Dogs6 Dogs6 is offline
Plus One
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,103
Default

I don't see any harm in jogging as long as the dog enjoys it although if you are going to do more then should probably look at some places not covered in concrete to jog on.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM
MafiaPrincess's Avatar
MafiaPrincess MafiaPrincess is offline
Obvious trollsare Obvious
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,134
Default

I blade with Cider on pavement. When I'm feeling on we maybe do it once a week 40 minutes to an hour. We've bladed for three years and I haven't seen any ill effects. I think in part it may be how long and often you do it.
__________________

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles


Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
maxfox426's Avatar
maxfox426 maxfox426 is offline
My dog tickles my soul
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs6 View Post
I don't see any harm in jogging as long as the dog enjoys it although if you are going to do more then should probably look at some places not covered in concrete to jog on.
That's part of the problem, too. I would like to continue getting my running done in the morning, before it gets too warm... but there are only so many places I can go within the time I have before I have to be at work. The nearest parks are about a 10-15 minute drive one-way, which is a lot of driving for 20-25 minutes of jogging.

Of course, if it's harmful to Morgan to keep running on the sidewalk, I will re-evaluate (and he'll probably just not get to come with me), but if it's okay for him to run, it would be fun for him to join.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
I blade with Cider on pavement. When I'm feeling on we maybe do it once a week 40 minutes to an hour. We've bladed for three years and I haven't seen any ill effects. I think in part it may be how long and often you do it.
The most I'm planning on running in a single session is about 20 minutes. I would like to do this 3-5 times a week... probably alternating days with walking and jogging.

What kind of ill-effects should I watch for?
__________________
~ Cynthia ~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM
sammgirl sammgirl is offline
ACoops favorite
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 845
Default

I tried running with Abbs for a while, but she had no desire to do it and kept lagging behind. And this was when I had FIRST started doing it. She's just not interested, so I had to give up on taking her.

She's much happier going with "daddy" to the dog park w/o the running!

My suggestion is: make the dog wear a cooling pack if you're going to be doing it in hot weather; make the dog carry it's own water (and yours) and start off very slow.

Even dogs that do have a will to run can get hurt, because they would rather run then listen to what their own bodies are telling them.

Good luck!!!! I think running is awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
MericoX's Avatar
MericoX MericoX is offline
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In depression
Posts: 5,257
Default

Usually there are concerns if your running/jogging with young dogs as it can have some problems with their growth.. but being that he's older I don't think you will have any problems.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

I run with Lucy a little in the mornings before work. Like you, it's a "run half a mile/walk half a mile" at this point. (Pathetic, since a few years ago, I was running 5 miles at a time!) The toughest part of it for me is all the stopping she wants to do--potty breaks, sniffs, squirrel stalking, etc!

Is there a public school near you? People used to walk/run their dogs on the track all the time when I was in high school (before school and on the weekends, of course--not during school hours). The track was rubber, so it was softer on joints.

Though...I run lucy on pavement and haven't seen anything wrong yet.
__________________


Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
maxfox426's Avatar
maxfox426 maxfox426 is offline
My dog tickles my soul
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammgirl View Post
I tried running with Abbs for a while, but she had no desire to do it and kept lagging behind. And this was when I had FIRST started doing it. She's just not interested, so I had to give up on taking her.

She's much happier going with "daddy" to the dog park w/o the running!

My suggestion is: make the dog wear a cooling pack if you're going to be doing it in hot weather; make the dog carry it's own water (and yours) and start off very slow.

Even dogs that do have a will to run can get hurt, because they would rather run then listen to what their own bodies are telling them.

Good luck!!!! I think running is awesome.

I really only run early in the morning, so the weather is still pretty cool then. I certainly don't want to run with it's stinking hot outside, so I wouldn't even think of making Morgan do that, either!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Usually there are concerns if your running/jogging with young dogs as it can have some problems with their growth.. but being that he's older I don't think you will have any problems.
Oh yeah! I meant to ask that as well, but I forgot to directly phrase it in a question. Good to know that I don't have to worry about that aspect of running, though!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I run with Lucy a little in the mornings before work. Like you, it's a "run half a mile/walk half a mile" at this point. (Pathetic, since a few years ago, I was running 5 miles at a time!) The toughest part of it for me is all the stopping she wants to do--potty breaks, sniffs, squirrel stalking, etc!

Is there a public school near you? People used to walk/run their dogs on the track all the time when I was in high school (before school and on the weekends, of course--not during school hours). The track was rubber, so it was softer on joints.

Though...I run lucy on pavement and haven't seen anything wrong yet.
Morgan is pretty good about the stopping, as in he doesn't really do it when we are moving faster. Honestly, the slower we walk, the more distracted he gets! He's kinda ADD that way.

There IS a public school near me! It's an elementary/middle school... so I am not sure if they have a running track at all. Off the top of my head, I do not think they do... but now that you mention it, they do have a pretty big field that I could potentially go run around in if Morgan and I get going early enough.

*facepalm*

Thanks for helping me think, Cali!
__________________
~ Cynthia ~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

You're starting out slowly enough that I think it will be ok, but I don't like how my joints feel after running on concrete and I imagine the dogs feel much the same. Both of us like running on grass more.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,755
Default

BE reasonable when you run remember that they do not have padded high tech foot gear on. IF people ran barefoot on pavement i think they would get a clearer picture of the damage that can be done. Especially if your going with an older dog. A friend of mine runs distance. He took Victor and Pepper with him. I didn't know he was going as far as he did or I would have said no. Victor limped for a long time. I am pretty sure there was a stress fracture.

If your on a trail or any other soft ground then they could probably run you right into the ground.
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site