Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Default *sigh*

I had a 16YO kid contact me about a puppy from one of my upcoming litters. From chatting with her and her questionnaire, she is a good kid that is sincere, but there is no way I am going to sell a dog and execute a contract with a 16YO kid.

I have contacted a couple good people in her area in hopes that they will take her under their wing and mentor her.

I just can't take the chance with all the changes in life that are ahead of her at age 16.

*sigh*
Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I agree that a 16 year old can't sign a contract. Are her parents on board to help her? Technically having it be the parents dog, with the possibility of a change of ownership when she's older and settled into a home and job?

When you say "mentor", does that mean she wants to do junior showmanship?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Crazy Dog!

Please look into it further Red. I know how it feels to be young and want a dog. I was sold my first real show dog at 16 and now, almost 8 years later she is still with me competing in agility.

Make sure the parents are behind her and that references check out etc. Just don't overlook the situation because she is 16.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

That's sad
Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

I'm with you !!! I only sold through parents .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM
:( only one :(

You go with your gut, red. I can understand your hesitation, not to say a person that age can't do it, but these are your babies and you need place them where your heart feels right.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Im 16 (15 at time) .. Keely's breeder wouldnt have sold a dog to just me, because of my age. but she sure as hell wouldnt have sold her to just my parents either.. lol.. She wanted me to have the dog, so she got mom to sign the ownership papers (Mom was totally onboard)... Dont just cut her loose though because of it. I also know how much i wanted, no, NEEDED a dog..

I think me and keely are doing just fine. Mom really doesnt have anything to do with her care at all. Keely is nannys girl, but moms only good for the lovin' part. I do everything myself (Mom pays for vet, thats it, and quite frankly, i could do that too, if need be) .. If she doesnt get one from an awesome breeder (like yourself) she may turn to a byb/mill in her desperate search for a dog. Which could end up badly. (I dunno if she wanted to show the dog or what. If thats the case she wont go to a byb.) If keely wasnt on a strict spay contract, i would have shown her.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
RedyreRottweilers

There are other considerations. Altho I did not ask age on my questionnaire (I have changed that now), we were having discussion about other things.

Such as wanting to know about getting POL. (nope, that one's mine), and lack of secure fencing.

I also feel that a person that age should have a parent involved from the start. I sort of feel that I could have gotten into this a lot deeper with her had I not asked point blank about the age.

I am getting her in touch with a good breeder who is in her state, and hopefully not too far away from her. I feel that someone of this age will need a close by mentor no matter what if they get a show prospect dog.

So hopefully it will all end well for her, with her gaining a new good friend who can help her along the road to a show dog if that's what she truly wants.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Good for you Red. To many breeders would just ignore her or snot her off. Sending her off to buy from a BYB.

I hope she gets mentoring and someday a quality puppy.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 AM
and Spy.

I totally understand your hesitation, Red.

I purchased Spy when I was 15 and he is doing great and involved in agility. However I know that for many dogs owned by youth it is a very different picture.

Many breeders completely shrugged me off and it really hurt and discouraged me. I think directing her towards a mentor in her area was a great thing to do. If you are still in contact with her, just try and do everything nicely and talk to her in an adult manner (not that I think you won't ). I just remember being in her position and how much I was treated as 'just an impulsive teenager who knows nothing of dogs' and it totally sucked.

Kudos to you for not shrugging her off though

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.