Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

Default Miniature Aussie Info Please

One of my neighbors has a one year old female Merle Aussie (about 22 lbs). They just added another merle female, about 16 weeks - she is very tiny (about 7 lbs). Would this new addition be considered a miniature or even maybe a toy/teacup?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
just call me Nilly

Um... I would consider it a puppy? It's only 16 weeks, it's going to get much bigger than 7lbs.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Just try me..

The North American Shepherds (also called by some mini aussies) show with us at the RBCO shows-we show the whippets. They don't have toy/teacup.. though NO BREED has teacup. Sometimes really small puppies show up.. I have met some very tiny shelties too.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Twin 2.0

:banghead: *deep breath*

Ok, first off, there is NO SUCH THING as a "toy/teacup" Aussie. Those who try to tell you so are typically covering up the fact that they have crossed wildly out of standard Aussies with either super-small Shelties or Pomeranians. They have nothing that makes them an Aussie besides a docked tail.

Neither the ASCA nor the AKC recognize "miniature Aussies". In fact, even the "Mini Aussie Club" is now in the process of changing it's name to "North American Shepherd" because they know they are not breeding Aussies anymore, but something different.

The new addition is probably going to be a very small dog. I wouldn't call it an Aussie though.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
:banghead: *deep breath*

Ok, first off, there is NO SUCH THING as a "toy/teacup" Aussie. Those who try to tell you so are typically covering up the fact that they have crossed wildly out of standard Aussies with either super-small Shelties or Pomeranians. They have nothing that makes them an Aussie besides a docked tail.

Neither the ASCA nor the AKC recognize "miniature Aussies". In fact, even the "Mini Aussie Club" is now in the process of changing it's name to "North American Shepherd" because they know they are not breeding Aussies anymore, but something different.

The new addition is probably going to be a very small dog. I wouldn't call it an Aussie though.
I agree. I see this all too often at the DP. Oh check out my new mini aussie!

I dont understand why people are breeding minis and toys. Well I get that the demand is there. But these breeds were bred specifically for a purpose, and I would think that changing the size of the dog is going to hinder that original purpose.

Bailey is a pocket beagle. When I got her 5 yrs ago (as a rescue sort of- I was her 4th home in her short one year. Her 2nd owner got her from a guy who paid $750.00 for her from a pocket beagle breeder. He didnt like her I guess, and this girl bought her from him, kept her crated 12 hrs a day, and then thought she was too hyper with her jack russell, so she gave her to my ex and his roommate, who then gave her to me when he moved back here. Dont worry shes staying put.) She is 20 pounds, has toothpick legs. Her body is too big for her teeny tiny legs to if you pick her up by her armpits she yelps. Her ears also do not reach her nose as a well bred beagls would. (This actually works to my advantage because Kodys ears need to be cleaned ALL the time and Bailey's stay clean.) She also has bug-eyes lol. I think somewhere she may have been mixed with chihuahua. But who knows- her first owner claimed she was akc certified, but who even knows lol.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dogs3cats View Post
I agree. I see this all too often at the DP. Oh check out my new mini aussie!

I dont understand why people are breeding minis and toys. Well I get that the demand is there. But these breeds were bred specifically for a purpose, and I would think that changing the size of the dog is going to hinder that original purpose.

Bailey is a pocket beagle. When I got her 5 yrs ago (as a rescue sort of- I was her 4th home in her short one year. Her 2nd owner got her from a guy who paid $750.00 for her from a pocket beagle breeder. He didnt like her I guess, and this girl bought her from him, kept her crated 12 hrs a day, and then thought she was too hyper with her jack russell, so she gave her to my ex and his roommate, who then gave her to me when he moved back here. Dont worry shes staying put.) She is 20 pounds, has toothpick legs. Her body is too big for her teeny tiny legs to if you pick her up by her armpits she yelps. Her ears also do not reach her nose as a well bred beagls would. (This actually works to my advantage because Kodys ears need to be cleaned ALL the time and Bailey's stay clean.) She also has bug-eyes lol. I think somewhere she may have been mixed with chihuahua. But who knows- her first owner claimed she was akc certified, but who even knows lol.
This is off topic but how does someone spend $750 on a dog and then just give it away?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
This is off topic but how does someone spend $750 on a dog and then just give it away?
Umm... every single day!!!

Many people see animals as disposable, just like a couch that has gone out of style or lost it's newness. Price is often irrelevant. Purebreds, presumably purchased for $100's, make up a huge percentage of abandoned dogs. Pet store dogs cost $1000's and I'm sure many (if not MOST) of them end up re-homed, abandoned, or euthanized. Anyone who purchases a living creature out of impulse or fad is much, much, much more likely to abandon them, while puppies produced for impulsive buyers and fads are often higher priced than well-bred show/working quality puppies who have been planned for and reserved long before being bought.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
Happens. Cider was close to a grand.. plus shots, spay, dog classes, toys.. She was going to be dropped in our local pound till I said I'd take her as I was attached. Lot of money to drop to then not care.. but it happened.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

My neighbor was told by the breeder that the puppy was a mini aussie. This new pup is way smaller than her other female was at the same age. Not only is she tiny, she is very small boned - almost Chihuahua like.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi's Mom View Post
My neighbor was told by the breeder that the puppy was a mini aussie. This new pup is way smaller than her other female was at the same age. Not only is she tiny, she is very small boned - almost Chihuahua like.
And the breeder obviously has questionable intentions if they're breeding Aussies so small...

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010